Two Terriers take honors

Junior forward Jenn Wakefield and freshman goalie Kerrin Sperry of the No. 6/8 Boston University women’s hockey team have been named Hockey East’s Pure Hockey Player of the Week and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, after strong showings against the University of North Dakota last weekend.

Sperry made the first start of her BU career on Sunday against the Fighting Sioux and impressed right away, stopping 21 shots en route to picking up the Terriers’ first-ever victory over a Western Collegiate Hockey Association team.

A 2010 graduate of Lawrence Academy, Sperry is looking to compete with sophomore goalie Alissa Fromkin for the starting spot this year. Last year, she was named team MVP and selected for the all-Independent School League first team.

Wakefield put up five points in two games this weekend, including two goals and two assists on Sunday. Her second tally of the day, the game-winner, was a short-handed goal produced on a rush with senior forward Jillian Kirchner in the first period. In the second, she beat the North Dakota defense again to set up a shorthanded tally for freshman forward Marie-Philip Poulin.

Before transferring to BU, Wakefield played two seasons at the University of New Hampshire, leading the team in scoring in 2008-09 and becoming a top-10 finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Memorial award, given to the top player in women’s college hockey. She did not play college hockey last season, as she opted instead to train with the

Canadian Olympic team as an alternate.

Wakefield and Sperry will face Union College for the first time this weekend as BU travels to Schenectady, N.Y. to take on the Dutchwomen.