W. hockey beats Union

After its first full week of practice together, the No. 6 Boston University women’s hockey team put together a dominant effort against Union College on Saturday in a 6-2 win.

Junior forward Jenn Wakefield led the way with two goals and one assist, and junior forward Jenelle Kohanchuk and freshman forward Marie-Philip Poulin each added a goal and two assists. Junior defensemen Tara Watchorn and Carly Warren also tallied for the Terriers (2-1-0) in their second six-goal outing of the young season.

The Terriers overpowered the Dutchwomen (0-2-0) across the board, outshooting Union 37-10 &- 14-0 in the first period alone &- and scoring on three of their six power plays. Poulin put BU on the board just 1:12 into the game, converting a setup by Kohanchuk, and Watchorn netted a shorthanded goal at 14:33 to put the Terriers up 2-0.

Despite the shot differential, Union stayed close through the first 25 minutes of the game, cutting BU’s lead to 2-1 when senior Marissa Gentile scored at 1:34 of the second period. But Warren answered with a power-play tally three minutes later, BU’s first of the game and of the season, and from there the Terriers outscored Union 3-1. Wakefield gave BU its impressive 50 percent conversion rate on the power play with her team-leading fifth goal of the season midway through the third period.

Sophomore goaltender Alissa Fromkin, who has been part of a rotation in net with freshman Kerrin Sperry to start the season, recorded eight saves in her first win of the year.

The Terriers will play Wayne State University in their home opener on Friday.