Campus, National, News

GOP gains House, Dems keep Senate

Even as Massachusetts voters swept Democrats into state office, nationwide election maps turned increasingly red as voters gave Republicans control of the House of Representatives.

Though Democrats are projected to cling to a narrow majority in the Senate, Republicans were quick to paint the 2010 races as a referendum on President Barack Obama’s economic policies.

“Across the country right now, we are witnessing a repudiation of Washington, a repudiation of big government, and a repudiation of politicians who refuse to listen to the people,” said House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) in a speech after Republicans were projected to take the House.

“Because for far too long, Washington’s been doing what’s best for Washington, not what’s best for the American people,” said Boehner, who may be the next House speaker. “Tonight, that begins to change.”

Republicans were projected to gain 58 seats in the House at press time, with 23 seats undecided.

This gives Republicans 233 seats in the House; 218 are needed for a majority.

However, Democrats held onto the Senate, keeping 51 seats to the Republicans’ 46. Three races were undecided at press time.

Democratic leaders said that ultimately, they were proud of the work they had done as leaders of the House from 2006 onward.

“Over the last four years, the Democratic Majority in the House took courageous action on behalf of America’s middle class to create jobs and save the country from the worst economic catastrophe since the Great Depression,” said Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in a written statement.

“The outcome of the election does not diminish the work we have done for the American people,” Pelosi continued. “We must all strive to find common ground to support the middle class, create jobs, reduce the deficit and move our nation forward.”

Races around the country offered a few bright spots for Democrats. In Nevada, Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) narrowly beat Republican Sharron Angle to retain his position as Senate majority leader.

In Delaware, Democrat Christopher Coons beat Republican Christine O’Donnell in another closely watched Senate election.

And in Connecticut, Democrat Richard Blumenthal beat Republican wrestling mogul Linda McMahon for Sen. Chris Dodd’s (D-Conn.) vacated Senate seat.

Still &- in a night where Democratic senators such as Russ Feingold lost their jobs and California’s Proposition 19, which would have legalized the recreational use of marijuana in the state for adults over 21, lost by a larger-than-expected margin &- few would argue the election was a happy one for liberals.

“The American people are rightly frustrated by the economy, and Democrats are ready to redouble our efforts to create jobs and accelerate growth,” said Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine. “With the two houses of Congress now divided between Democrats and Republicans, it is incumbent upon both parties to take responsibility for governing so we can move the nation forward.”