Lacrosse, Sports

Lacrosse drops opener

University of Massachusetts freshman Katie Ferris scored a goal with four seconds remaining in the No. 18 Boston University lacrosse team’s season and home opener to give the Terriers their first loss of the season, 13-12, on Wednesday.

While the Terriers (0-1) couldn’t top the defending Atlantic 10 champions, they had a lot of bright spots to build on as the season progresses.

“I was happy overall,” said BU coach Liz Robertshaw. “Obviously, I was not happy with the outcome, but I think for the first game, this is going to happen every now and then. So we just have to move on.”

BU began the game with energy, with senior midfielder Rachel Collins scoring on the team’s first possession off a feed from junior attacker Molly Swain.

However, UMass (3-0) quickly answered BU’s goal with a tally on its first possession as well, and then took the lead just before the five-minute mark.

“I don’t think it was anything that they did, per se,” Robertshaw said. “It was the first game and we just need to play better.”

The Terriers picked up their game shortly after UMass took the lead, when junior attacker Hannah Frey scored on a free-position shot. Sophomore midfielder Kristen Mogavero and Swain then scored two quick goals to give the Terriers a two goal lead.

UMass kept fighting back, though, and took the lead 6-5 going into halftime. UMass senior attacker Jackie Lyons was key for the Minutewomen’s offense to run smoothly, as she served as the quarterback behind the net and even walked it out front for a few goals.

“We learned where the mental mistakes really came through and came back to bite us,” said BU senior attacker Erica Baumgartner, who had a goal and five assists in the loss.

BU took a lead over UMass just over halfway through the second half, when Swain set up Collins again on a give-and-go play inside the fan. The Terrier lead expanded to 11-9 when Baumgartner set up Mogavero with only 9:47 remaining in the game.

However, sophomore attacker Cori Murray scored two key goals in the final seven minutes to help the Minutewomen draw within a goal of the Terriers. Then a strong effort by Lyons and Ferris’ goal in the final four seconds gave UMass the lead and the win.

“We have had our close game, so hopefully next time when we are tied 12-12 down the line we know how to win,” Baumgartner said.

Sophomore goalkeeper Kim Elsworth had her first start for the Terriers, and made five saves.

“I think she did a couple good things, especially on the free positions,” Robertshaw said. “I think she just needs to get back into handling the jitters and do a little bit better job of seeing the ball all the time.”

This was the first collegiate action for the BU freshman class, which included midfielder Sydney Godett, attackers Nell Burdis and Elizabeth Morse and defender Christie Hart.

“We had a lot of freshmen go in and do some nice things. I was happy with their performance,” Robertshaw said. “We wanted to get the girls some college experience right now and thought this was the right game to do it because we are going to need everyone on our bench from top to bottom if we are going to win.”

The America East preseason favorite Terriers will look to redeem this first loss when they play at Brown University on March 1.

“We just need to focus on the things that we can fix,” Robertshaw said.