Local Libyan-Americans speak out against Gaddafi regime

Despite the heavy rainstorm, protesters gathered on Friday outside the Massachusetts State House in protest of Libyan President Muammar Gaddafi’s rule.

About 50 protesters held signs reading messages such as, “Unnamed civilians have been slaughtered in Libya,” “Help prevent bloodshed” and “People of Libya, you are not alone,” decrying the current violence in Libya in an attempt to raise awareness.

“People from all sorts of backgrounds are here to express their outrage and anger at what’s going on Libya right now,” said protester Imad Al-Muntasir. “Many protesters here today are Libyan, but not all of them. I’m representing a sort of ad-hoc committee, Stand up for Libya, in support of the Libyan people.”

Many protesters said they were standing up against an unjust ruler.

“It’s a crisis in Libya. For 42 years a terrorist has been ruling Libya, engaged in acts of terrorism against the Libyan people,” said Sharifa Hassan, another protester. “The people have finally stood up.”

Gaddafi’s disturbing acts of terrorism are almost at an end, Hassan said.

“Gaddafi was in the highest building in Tripoli buying supporters to slaughter people,” she said. “There are videos coming where we can see people being killed in acts of  violence against peaceful protesters. He’s almost out.”

Protesters said they hope that the 42 years of oppressive rule in Libya will end soon.

“Gaddafi is not a just man, and this is not a just regime,” said protester Noor Dughri. “We are hopeful that his rule will come to an end soon. His rule has been unjust for too long, and time for protests is now.”

Many of the Libyan-Americans at the protest seemed disappointed at the role that the United States has played thus far in the situation in Libya, and called for greater action toward a more democratic Libya.

“We want democracy and peace in Libya, and for Gaddafi to be called for justice for his crimes against humanity. We support a democratic Libya. The Obama government has not been taking any action so far, and as an American Libyan, I’m disappointed” said Abdullah Swei. “If Gaddafi is not there in Libya, peace and freedom will prevail. The media is playing an important role in exposing the truth.”

Some of the protesters said they had not been able to get in touch with their relatives when the riots started.

“We called up our aunt and an African mercenary answered the phone instead and hung up immediately,” said Kathy, an American woman married to a Libyan man, who asked to remain anonymous.

“Later when we called her again she said the videos of violence by Gaddafi were absolutely fake and that we shouldn’t worry,” Kathy said. “We fear that the mercenary was pressuring her to say what she said. Gaddafi shut down all communication and for a few days we had no landline or cell phone connection with our families. The Libyans aren’t killing Libyans, but it seems to be outside elements.”

Code Pink: Women for Peace, an anti-war group, also attended the protest in solidarity with the Libyan people.

“Almost 50 people are here, in spite of the rain, and more are coming,” said Tamar Etingen, a representative of Code Pink. “Code Pink supports the Libyan people in their struggle for democracy.”

Some rally-goers expressed hope for change.

“Let the world know that Gaddafi has killed so many of his people, and has been ruling Libya for 42 years,” said protester Ruba Bagegni. “Change is near though, and the possibility of the Gaddafi regime to end soon is very promising. If you look at the recent speeches he has give, you can see the fear in his eyes and face.”

“We drove from Connecticut to participate and support the Libyan people,” said rally-goer Maria El-Samin. “The youth of Libya has only known the Gaddafi rule, and have every right to raise their voice and call for democracy.”