BU students in Tokyo OK, BUIP says

Boston University International Programs advised students studying abroad in Tokyo to “remain vigilant” after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake hit the coast of Japan on Thursday.

“Communications with Japan are still uncertain but we urge that students there try to be in contact with their families, curb any travel plans for the immediate future, and follow all instructions from program staff,” according to an update posted on BUIP’s site at 4:54 p.m. on Friday.

According to the United States Geological Survey website, the quake’s epicenter originated 231 miles Northeast of Tokyo but aftershocks traveled as far as the West Coast of the United States and South America.

“The most immediate risk of destructive tsunamis around the Pacific Rim, including the West Coast of the U.S. and South America, appears to have passed but we urge students to remain vigilant and follow local news, and the announcements of local authorities, carefully,” the BUIP update said.

BU’s program in Japan is an exchange program with Keio University, located in Minato ward of Tokyo.

“Fortunately, on all Keio campuses, Keio has recognized no human suffering of students, pupils and patients,” said Director of the International Center at Keio University Susumu Tomooka in a letter posted on BUIP’s site at 4:57 p.m. on Friday.

Tomooka said in the letter that the university sent an email to exchange students asking if they are safe and urging them to contact family members and friends at home.

1. On April 13, 2011, the New England String Quartet will be performing in Marsh Chapel at Boston University to collect the donations for victims of the Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami in Japan. The program will feature works by Japanese composers Joe Hisaishi and Yumi Kimura (used in award-winning Hayao Miyazaki’s films), and music by J.Brahms, F. Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, W.A.Mozart. All donations collected during the concert will be sent to the American Red Cross directed towards supporting Japan.