Gov. Center T station to potentially close for two years

A plan to renovate the Government Center T station would close the station to close for two or more years, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority officials said.

While the MBTA normally prefers to keep stations open during construction, T officials say they are considering closing the station to minimize the construction time, according to an April 10 article in The Boston Globe.

Previous projects such as the renovation of the Kenmore Square station dragged on longer than planned, increasing inconvenience to Boston residents and causing construction to exceed budget.

MBTA construction officials have developed two potential timelines for the renovation of Government Center station. The longer plan would allow the station to continue to function and the shorter would close the station for about two years.

Jeffrey Mullan, the MBTA secretary and chief executive officer, told The Globe that the policy shift from keeping facilities open during construction to closing them aims to curb “the seemingly endless construction cycle.”

Closing the Government Center station for two years would save taxpayers $15 million and decrease construction time by 15 months or more. If the station remained open, the project could last more than four years and would cost nearly $71 million.

Mullan said the MBTA has not reached a decision about closing the station during construction, which is scheduled to begin in November 2012, and will consider concerns of city officials and customers.

The plan to renovate Government Center aims to improve access for people with disabilities and includes the construction of a new glass headhouse with new escalators, stairs, elevators, lighting and communication systems. Additional changes include the raising of Green Line platforms and the lengthening of Blue Line platforms to accommodate six-train cars.

The longer plan would occupy more space on the Government Center plaza and would require the construction of a temporary subway entrance, which presents the risk of running into unexpected utility lines, further increasing the length of construction.

Although the station would stay open, customers would be inconvenienced by occasional route changes and service diverted to buses on weekends. Construction would occur at night, reducing inconvenience and risks to passengers but increasing noise to neighbors.

Although the shorter plan would close the station, which provides access to the Blue and Green Lines, it would decrease diversion to busing and allow for two shifts of construction.

Ed Hunter, the MBTA director of construction, told The Globe this plan is safer because passengers will not be exposed to construction.

Green Line passengers could use Haymarket or Park Street stations to access the Government Center area.

1. So what do the commuters who ride the blue line into government center do???