Other, Sports

Five BU student-athletes earn strength and conditioning all-American honors

Five Boston University student-athletes have been named All-American Strength and Conditioning Athletes of the Year, the National Strength and Conditioning Association announced Tuesday in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Those receiving the honors from the NSCA were men’s basketball junior Matt Griffin, softball senior April Setterlund, lacrosse senior Rachel Collins, men’s swimming & diving senior Kyle Ernst and women’s swimming & diving senior Maria McIntyre.

The NSCA All-American Athlete of the Year Award program is in its 33rd year of existence and is designed to recognize collegiate athletes “whose athletic accomplishments, in the opinion of their strength coach, reflect their dedication to strength training and conditioning,” according to the group’s website.

Griffin, a transfer from Rider University, was a tri-captain for the Terriers in his first season playing on the team. He averaged 6.4 points per game, 2.6 assists per game and posted a team-high 45.8 3-point percentage en route to BU reaching its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2002.

Setterlund is coming off of a banner junior season in which she ranked fifth in the nation in batting average (.482) and on-base percentage (.452), and earned the America East Conference Player of the Year and a spot on the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-America team. This season, she is leading the team in several statistical categories including batting average (.392), RBIs (27) and home runs (six).

Collins nears the end of her senior season having played in 69-of-71 career games in a BU uniform. Through 11 games this season, she has 14 points (nine goals and five assists) and has been a reliable presence in the midfield for the Terriers.

Ernst holds the school record in both the 100 and 200 breaststrokes and is a member of the record-holding 200 and 400 medley relay teams. He was named the 2010 AE Most Outstanding Swimmer of the Meet.

McIntyre holds a fair share of program records herself, standing as the program record-holder in the 50 free, along with being a member on four record-breaking relay teams – the 200 and 400 medley relays, and the 200 and 400 free relays. She helped lead the Terriers to back-to-back AE titles in 2009 and 2010.