Lacrosse, Sports

Lacrosse drops conference heartbreaker in final 11 seconds

The Boston University lacrosse team fell to No. 7 University at Albany, 12-11, in stunning fashion after a wild final minute of the game.

Junior attack Hannah Frey scored a team-high and career-high six goals on Sunday, but the Terriers lost to University at Albany, 12-11, on a free-position shot with 11 seconds left. Photo by U-Jin Lee/DFP Staff

Senior attack Rachel Collins scored with 58 seconds remaining to tie the game, but Albany (12-0, 4-0) midfielder Ariana Parker scored her fifth goal of the game on a free-position shot with 11 seconds left to seal the victory.

“It’s always a bummer to lose in the last 15 seconds of a game,” BU coach Liz Robertshaw said. “I think we could have done a better job of not putting ourselves in that position, but they beat us. Albany is undefeated and ranked No. 7 in the country for a reason.”

BU (6-7, 2-2) jumped out to a 3-1 lead early in the game, with all three goals scored by junior Hannah Frey. Frey came off the bench in the game to score six goals and earn America East Conference Player of the Game.

“I think Hannah had something to prove,” Robertshaw said. “She didn’t have the best game against Boston College, we called her out on it a little bit and she had a great day. She wanted to go in there and put the team on her shoulders and she did a great job.”

The teams exchanged goals for the rest of the first half until Albany attack Taylor Frink scored with two seconds remaining to pull the Great Danes within one.

“When we made mistakes, if we didn’t follow our game plan for a minute, they scored,” Robertshaw said. “That’s something that we know we have to tighten up a little bit.”

Albany came out of the half on fire, scoring four consecutive goals to take the 8-5 lead with 20:53 remaining in the game. Parker scored three of the four goals and took charge of the Great Dane offense during that stretch.

“[Parker] kept her feet moving. She is a big player, and she went hard to cage, which we had a tough time stopping,” Robertshaw said.

However, BU answered with a four-goal streak of its own, with another two goals from Frey as well as a goal each from sophomore attack Danielle Etrasco and junior attack Molly Swain. Etrasco finished the game with three goals and an assist, while Swain’s goal was her only point of the game.

The BU scoring streak was ended by another Parker goal, which tied the game at nine with 10 minutes remaining. Attack Jodi Battaglia was a clutch performer for the Great Danes, scoring two of her three goals in the final 10 minutes and giving her team the lead until Collins’ tying marker.

Freshman goalkeeper Christina Sheridan got another start for the Terriers, tallying only one save against the talented Albany shooters.

“I thought Christina had a pretty good game in the first half. I thought she was fantastic on the clears and she was great vocally,” Robertshaw said.

With this loss and only three games remaining, BU will need to win two of its next three games to finish .500 on the year. The Terriers face non-conference opponent Harvard University on Apr. 18 before ending their season against AE opponents Stony Brook University and University of Vermont.

“I’m not really worried about the record, I’m just focused on getting our girls out there and playing their best lacrosse,” Robertshaw said. “Our focus is to win one of the two conference matches to make sure we get to the conference tournament. Once we get there, it’s anyone’s game.”