Lacrosse, Sports

Lacrosse looks for clean sweep of Ivy League foes

The Boston University lacrosse team will clash with Harvard University Wednesday on Senior Night at Nickerson Field in an attempt to end the season 4-0 against Ivy League teams.

Sophomore attack Danielle Etrasco leads BU with 39 goals. MICHAEL CUMMO/Daily Free Press Staff

“I think we are going to see a confident Harvard team,” BU coach Liz Robertshaw said. “We are looking at a team that is riding off a good win and has a lot to prove against us.”

The Terriers (6-7, 2-2 America East) have struggled to find a win lately, losing their past three games. Their losses have been close, including a triple-overtime defeat to University of New Hampshire and a 12-11 loss to University at Albany that was decided in the final minute on Saturday.

“Nobody likes to lose,” Robertshaw said. “It’s something that we are trying to work our way out of. Everyone was enjoying Marathon Monday while we were out practicing.”

However, Ivy League opponents have been an area of success for BU, as it has defeated its first three opponents from the Ivy League. BU dominated Brown University 15-8 earlier in the season, before also taking down then-No. 6 Dartmouth, 9-7, and Yale University, 12-5.

“It would be great to go 4-0 against the Ivies,” Robertshaw said. “I also think for us right now we want to get that win and gain our confidence in preparation to finish up in the America East.”

Harvard (7-4, 4-1 Ivy) will be a tough test for the Terrier defense, though, as its offense averages 12.36 goals per game. This powerful attack is led by sophomore attack Jennifer VanderMeulen, who leads the Crimson with 39 points and 35 goals. VanderMeulen was recently named Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week.

The Crimson have been on a hot streak lately, winning three straight matches and six of their last seven. Their only loss in the past month was to then-No.7 University of Virginia by a score of 19-18.

While the Terriers have not had much success recently, their quality of opponents has been high as well. Their past two losses have been to some of the nation’s top teams, including No. 14 Boston College and No. 7 Albany.

Coming off a poor game at BC, junior attack Hannah Frey had her best game of the season against Albany, scoring six goals off the bench to earn America East Player of the Game honors. Frey has 27 goals on the season, which is second on the team only to sophomore attack Danielle Etrasco, who has 39 goals.

BU will need Frey and Etrasco to perform well in order to muster up a strong offensive attack against Harvard. The Crimson allow just over 10 goals per game, but have not lost yet when they have held their opponent to under 10 goals.

“We need [Frey and Etrasco] to score goals,” Robertshaw said. “We can’t just look to the two of them to score if we are going to win, but if they can do that I think we will be in a good spot.”

Also in need of a strong performance is freshman goalkeeper Christina Sheridan. Sheridan only made one save in the last game against Albany, and will be relied upon to make the necessary stops against Harvard.

“She has had a couple good days of practice this week,” Robertshaw said. “It looks like she is ready to go and I want her to go out there and be confident.”

If BU can end its losing streak at three, it can avoid its first four-game losing streak since 2004. History is on the Terriers’ side, as they have won nine consecutive meetings with the Crimson.

This is the final home game of the season for the Terriers, who have gone 4-2 at Nickerson this season. All of the proceeds of the game will be donated to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.

If there is any time for BU to heat up this season, it is now. The Terriers have two in-conference games on the road to finish the season after their game against Harvard, and need to win at least one of them to make the conference tournament.