State university students lobby at State House for increased higher education funding

Students from Massachusetts state colleges lobbied members of the state legislature on Monday in support of three amendments to the budget that would increase higher education funding.

Two of the House bills would raise the state’s financial aid budget by $1 million and $3 million, respectively, adding $4 million to an account aimed at providing scholarships to state students.

The third would include funding for the 3.5 percent wage increase for state faculty and unionized administrators due to take effect this fiscal year in the state’s budget.

The three bills will be voted on during this week’s House of Representatives budget sessions.

The wage increase is part of a schedule of increases collectively bargained between the faculty union and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick’s administration in 2009.

The 3.5 percent wage increase will cost the state university system $9 million, and, if not paid for by the state, would result in a $200 fee increase for students in the system, according to the Massachusetts State Colleges Council of Presidents.

About 100 students from the nine institutions in the State Colleges of Massachusetts system attended training sessions in lobbying before they spent the day in different legislature offices lobbying in support of the bills. The Massachusetts State Colleges Council of Presidents organizes the annual day of lobbying at the State House.

Jake Oliveira, assistant executive officer for the council of presidents, said that this year’s lobbying day was particularly relevant, considering that the House was beginning floor debates on the budget for the fiscal year of 2012.

“We’ve been running this State House program for over 10 years. It is one day when students can lobby up here at Beacon Hill,” Oliveira said. “It is both educational for the students and practical in terms of the legislative process. It is a great way for students to learn about the process and exercise their communication skills. For many of them it is the first time they have been to the State House.”

The State Colleges of Massachusetts represents Bridgewater State College, Fitchburg State College, Framingham State College, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, Salem State College, Westfield State College and Worcester State College.

Richard Gurnon, president of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, was at the State House on Monday to help support his students’ lobbying efforts.

“The collective bargaining agreement increases have always been paid for by the state government,” Gurnon said. “The administration has never negotiated a collective bargaining agreement and not followed through on it. It is not right for the state to not fund this collective bargaining agreement. I think they will fund it. If the agreement is not paid for by the state government it becomes a tax on students.”

Nicholas Smith, a Fitchburg State College senior from Waltham graduating with a degree in business this spring, said he was optimistic about the passage of the budget amendments.

“I think the lobbying has definitely been effective this year,” Smith said.  “So far we have had four meetings. . .Basically, they have all been onboard. They all understand where we are coming from, needing funding and the importance of state universities. Students that graduate from state universities are more likely to work in the Commonwealth so that means more revenue for the Commonwealth.”

Smith said that most of the meetings were with aides to legislators, not the legislators themselves.

Lisa Godspeed, a junior studying accounting at Bridgewater State College, was new to the lobbying day.

“This is my first time with this program and my first time at the State House,” Godspeed said. “I think it is a great experience.”

Christopher Schweitzer, a Bridgewater State College junior from Taunton studying special education, said he found the experience meaningful.

“I want to be a K-12 teacher and possible a professor,” Schweitzer said.  “So I have a long term interest here as well as an interest as a student.”