Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Deer Tick on a boat

Few combinations of words can conjure up such exciting feelings as “Deer Tick on a boat.” When I first heard that such a thing could exist, my mind raced with thoughts of a Boston harbor sunset, the cool spray of salt water, a gently swaying boat, and shredding guitar solos mixed with lead singer John McCauley’s whiskey-soaked vocals. Fortunately, all of these preconceptions proved to be true and made for one of the most memorable, outrageous, and exhausting shows of my life.

Deer Tick was founded in 2004 by Providence-native McCauley, who began writing, recording and touring all on his own for several years before adding additional musicians to Deer Tick’s lineup. During this period, Deer Tick released its debut album, 2007’s sad and gritty War Elephant (Partisan). Deer Tick soon swelled to include such talents as guitarist Ian O’Neil (formerly of Titus Andronicus), bassist Christopher Ryan and Dennis Ryan on drums. They have also released two more albums, 2009’s Born on Flag Day (Partisan) and 2010’s The Black Dirt Sessions (Partisan). Deer Tick’s upcoming fourth album will be released sometime in fall 2011.

As the converted ferry pulled out from the docks on July 7, the opening band, Aunt Martha, a fun three piece band that blended country, folk and indie rock, warmed up the crowd as the sun began to set, drinks began to flow and passing speed boats pulled up to listen alongside the floating concert. Aunt Martha’s energy and musical styles made them the perfect opener to get the crowd ready for Deer Tick’s unbridled onstage antics.

Deer Tick took the stage just as the setting sun was glowing bright orange across the water. Their first song was a new number that will presumably be the first single off of their new album. Deer Tick’s usual stage debauchery was amplified by the fact that the boat had no stage, and the band performed on the top deck mere feet in front of the sold out crowd. Though the band only spoke sporadically to the crowd, their sheer intensity showed that Deer Tick was just as excited to be performing on a boat as the crowd was to be at the show. Highlights from the set included the single “Easy,” the low rumbling jams of “Mange” and the dark and moody “Christ Jesus.”

Perhaps the best audience interaction came during “Ashamed,” when the crowd belted out the song’s chorus louder than the band could play. Even the security guards on the boat could not help but make friends with a few members of the crowd and sing along. Come nightfall, as the boat completed its circuit of the harbor, Deer Tick wound down the show with a perfect rendition of Nirvana’s “Serve the Servants.” By the time the boat pulled back into the docks, members of the band mingled with the crowd over drinks and congratulations for one of the best shows anybody aboard had ever seen.