Monmouth deals men’s soccer first loss of season

While Boston University students started the great migration back to campus, the BU men’s soccer team traveled the opposite way down I-95 to Monmouth University, battling to the end in a 1-0 loss to the nationally-ranked No. 17 Hawks.

The Terriers (1-1) fell behind early on defenseman RJ Allen’s goal in the 14th minute, a rocket from 30 yards out that went off the left goal post. The goal was a result of a second Monmouth (2-0) corner kick in one minute.

“They scored a really nice goal, but we have to make it more difficult for a team in middle of the box,” said BU coach Neil Roberts.

Allen’s goal started and ended the game’s scoring, but certainly wasn’t the last of the teams’ opportunities.

Senior midfielder Stephen Knox – who scored both of the Terriers’ goals in a season -opening victory against Holy Cross earlier this week – nearly but BU up in the second minute, missing a shot just wide. Knox had another chance and almost tied the game in the 45th minute, but Monmouth goalie Alex Blackburn ate it up for his first save of the game.

The second half yielded more of the same for BU – several scoring chances but failure to capitalize on any of them. The Terriers kept the pressure on Blackburn and the rest of Monmouth’s defense, outshooting the Hawks 9-8 for the game, but Blackburn collected three saves for the shutout for his second shutout to open the season.

In 54th minute, senior forward Ben Berube had a header that missed just left of the goal, and minutes later Knox had another shot that missed wide.

“In the second half, we created three very good chances inside the [6-yard box],” Roberts said, seemingly a bit frustrated with his team’s inability to finish. “When you’re playing a very good defensive team like they are, we just have to out one away. We got ourselves in good spots, and we just couldn’t pull the trigger.”

BU continued to attack, but in the end a wide margin in corners (Monmouth had eight to BU’s three) and fouls (BU 12, Monmouth eight) did the Terriers in. BU also received yellow cards after fouls from three midfielders: freshmen Cameron Souri and Sanford Spivey, and sophomore Vicente Colmenares.

One goal aside, BU coach Neil Roberts was impressed with the play of red shirt freshman goalie Matt Daugherty. The Brookline native had one save while playing all 90 minutes in his first collegiate game after sitting out last year, joining Spivey and defenseman Taylor Washington as the three freshmen to play the entirety.

“They’re getting it,” Roberts said of Sanford and Washington. “They’re playing so they’re getting some experience. It’s learning under the gun so to speak, but they’re doing a good job.”

Off the field, the night was highlighted by a brief reunion between the Terriers and last year’s America East All-Rookie team goalie, Branndon Briggs. Briggs transferred from BU to Monmouth this season, and is redshirting this year.

Roberts was happy to see “Briggsy,” as the coach called him, and spoke highly of the athlete who posted five shutouts for BU a year ago.

“He’s a good kid and a good goalkeeper,” Roberts said.

The Terriers play next when they host St. John’s University on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Nickerson Field in the school’s annual “Terrier Tailgate” game.

1. Welcome back! I enjoyed this and the 9/5 article very much.