Q & A with Rhett the Terrier

Rhett, Boston University's mascot, shows his spirit on ice (Photo by Amanda Swinhart/Daily Free Press Staff)

Rhett the Terrier, Boston University’s canine mascot, barks up school spirit at athletic events, orientation and special occasions around campus.

The terrier has been a symbol of BU since Nov. 15, 1922 and later took on the name “Rhett” as a tribute to the film “Gone with the Wind.”

“The name was chosen because the BU colors are scarlet and white and ‘No one loves Scarlett more than Rhett,’ is a reference to Rhett Butler’s affection for Scarlett O’Hara,” said BU marketing and promotions coordinator Mike Marfione.

Studenta can expect to see some Rhett appearances around Boston in September. He will be at the Terrier Tailgate with the BU men’s soccer team at Nickerson Field at 6 p.m. on Sept. 3, and he will drop by Hub on Wheels at City Hall Plaza on Sept. 25.

Marfione said that BU will search for more Rhetts in the fall, and the dog will take on an even more dynamic personality, from the way he walks to the way he interacts with fans.

In an interview with Rhett, a student at BU who prefers to keep his identity anonymous, Rhett discussed what it’s like to be BU’s most known character on campus.

“It’s easy, especially during the school year,” Rhett said. “It’s a lot of fun more than anything. You can kind of be what you want to be inside the costume because no one knows who you are. There’s really no limit to what Rhett can do.”

“The main events we do are the BU athletic events. During the summer we do orientation and away meets for sports games,” Rhett said.

However, Rhett is not limited to BU’s campus and sporting events.

“This past spring I helped a gentleman propose to his girlfriend. I went to the business district of Boston and met the guy at his girlfriend’s work,” Rhett said. “We made cardboard signs to make her come out of the building, and then he proposed to her. If she said no, that would have been so awkward.”

Children react differently to Rhett, making some situations tricky, he said.

“The fun is when a kid runs up and hugs you, but it’s bad when a kid cried and runs away terrified,” he said.

Many people may wonder how the costume feels to wear all day long.

“It’s pretty comfortable. It’s like a Halloween costume, but it’s quite warm,” Rhett said. “There are four different, but identical, costumes. We have different feet though – it depends on if Rhett will be walking or skating.”

Being a school mascot was an easy decision for Rhett, who has been cheering for the terriers for almost four years.

“I’ve been Rhett since my freshman year, and I’m now a senior. I came in as a freshman living at West Campus and my R.A. was Rhett at the time. She told me I should try out, and it was awesome,” Rhett said.

Rhett thought about who would win in a popularity contest between himself and Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore. But the dean might not have much on the energetic dog, he said.

“That’s a battle. I’ll have to stick with Rhett – he’s been here quite awhile.”

His only true rival, however, is Baldwin, the Boston College eagle.

“There is some tension with Baldwin. There’s a little bit of bad blood, but we get a long as well as we can,” Rhett said.

As an icon around campus, Rhett said he represents more than man’s best friend and BU students.

“[Rhett] pretty much embodies the heart and soul of the university and gives people a sense of pride,” he said. “He represents all the good things about the university.”

1. Helpful information. Lucky me I found your website by accident, and I’m shocked why this coincidence didn’t took place earlier! I bookmarked it.