Breaking through: Men’s soccer aims to end scoreless drought

Before the conference portion of the schedule even begins, the Boston University men’s soccer team has been tested with one nationally-ranked opponent and one of the Big East Conference’s perennial leaders.

Daily Free Press File Photo BU head coach Neil Roberts does not feel his back line anchored by senior defender Colin Henry needs to do anything special to neutralize the Seton Hall attack.

And with less than a month until America East Conference play starts, the Terriers (1-2) certainly aren’t letting up as they prepare to continue to push themselves versus Seton Hall University, the second of three consecutive Big East opponents. Kickoff will be on Friday at 7 p.m. at Nickerson Field.

“We always want to play the best teams we can play,” said BU coach Neil Roberts of the tough non-conference scheduling. “In the long run it does us better, it makes us sharper. The competition shows your weaknesses and strengths and where you are a lot quicker [in the season].”

That said, after facing then-No. 21 Monmouth University and St. John’s University, Seton Hall (1-1-1) might be a less challenging opponent, providing an opportunity for BU to do something it has not done in over 200 minutes of play: score a goal.

The Terriers last scored in the 66th minute of their season opener when freshman midfielder Cameron Souri assisted senior midfielder Stephen Knox’s second goal of the game. Since then, BU has been shut out twice despite several good chances over two games.

To end the drought, though, the team just needs a simple fix, according to Roberts.

“We need to get our possession back and secure our [scoring] chances,” Roberts said. “We’ll take advantage of our chances and create even more of them. We’ll keep working on it, and I think before long you’ll see that.”

BU has several candidates that can break the barrier and score a goal, including Knox and his fellow co-captain, senior forward Ben Berube. Freshman forward Dominique Badji, who is looking for his first collegiate goal, is a threat to put one in the back of the net, as is Souri.

Souri has been an asset off the bench in the early going, playing valuable minutes while providing flexibility on the offensive side of the ball.

Across the field, the BU defense and freshman goalkeeper Nick Thomson will look to do the exact opposite and hold the Seton Hall offense firmly in check. The team expects Thomson to be back at full strength after being hospitalized part of last week with an infection, Roberts said.

Thomson nearly did not play last Friday, but because the backup, freshman Matt Daugherty, was on crutches with a bad foot, Thomson’s hand was forced.

The defense’s greatest danger will be Seton Hall midfielder Adriano Gabriele and forward Max Garcia, each of whom own two goals and combine for all four of the Pirates’ four goals on the season.

However, Roberts isn’t worried about them – “I don’t think we need to do anything special to defend them,” he said – and is confident his defense, anchored by senior Colin Henry and freshmen Taylor Washington and Sanford Spivey will be able to keep them at bay for the victory.

BU pulling it all together – the offense ending its scoring drought and the defense holding Gabriele and Garcia back – would give Roberts his 300th career victory, a milestone his counterpart, women’s soccer head coach Nancy Feldman, reached in late August.

And despite Seton Hall’s lack of a great offensive threat, the Terriers aren’t sleeping on anyone. Roberts had great praise for coach Manfred Schellscheidt in particular, a man who has racked up a 216-138-39 record in his 23-plus years at Seton Hall as the two men get ready to square off.

“They’re a little bit younger than St. John’s and Monmouth, but they’re very well coached — the coach there has been one of the top coaches in the country, and it’s always a very well-organized team and a very passionate team,” Roberts said. “We’re looking forward to it.”