Field Hockey, Sports

Field hockey prepares for rival BC

The No. 11 Boston University field hockey team, standing tall with a 3-1 overall record, is getting prepared for a weekend face-off against crosstown rival Boston College (4-1) Friday at Harvard’s Jordan Field.

The competition between the two teams has only increased due to BU’s No. 11 ranking in this week’s Kookaburra/National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division I National Coaches Poll, which stands as the program’s best ranking since its No. 8 ranking in 1996.

“It’s great for the program, but at this time of year, we’re more focused on working hard every day in practice and in every game,” said BU head coach Sally Starr. “In November, we worry more about the rankings.

“With BC, there is always a rivalry, and as a regional game, it could have an impact for at-large bids,” she added. “We would love to be No. 1 or No. 2 in the Northeast. So that’s the real importance of this game.”

Last year, the Terriers beat the Eagles 2-0, giving BC its first loss of the season and BU its first shutout victory against the Eagles since 1999. Senior forward Andrea Greene scored both goals (one in each half), but Starr is confident that anyone on the team can get the Terriers on the board.

“In out first four games, a lot of people have scored goals,” Starr said. “We have a lot of people on this team who are capable of scoring.”

Included in that group are junior midfielder Macey Guamond and her classmate, fullback Jacinda McLeod, a duo that accounts for half the team’s goals so far this season. The Terriers have posted 14 goals and have outscored opponents 14-5. They have outshot opponents 64-27.

When they last met up, BU held off a strong BC offense with the assistance of goalkeeper Amanda Smith, who graduated after last year.

However, Starr is confident this year’s defense is prepared to take the hit.

“They are an excellent attacking and offensive team, but we have three goalies who are improving every day so whoever is in net is capable,” Starr said. “We’ll have a strong defense in front to limit breakaways. That will be the key to the game.”

Having a strong defense is undoubtedly one of BU’s more impressive traits this year. With senior captain Kate Murphy, who has one goal this season, leading the pack on defense, joined by McLeod and junior midfielder Nicole van Oosterom, the Terriers present a formidable line.

However, the Terriers have only 11 saves compared to their opponents’ 32 this season and the Terriers have also been out-penalized in corners 24-18 so far.

In last year’s contest, BU outshot BC 11-8 and took the lead in corners 6-5. Grad student goalkeeper Kristine Stigas had four saves for BC in the loss.  This year, BC senior goalkeeper Nicole Barry has played in five games and recorded nine saves for the Eagles. Their other goalkeeper, freshman Katie Orban, has played in four games and tallied two saves.

On offense, BC’s senior fullback Carla Tamer leads the team with five goals and three assists and is followed by senior forward Courtney Tavener, who has four goals and three assists this season.

But beyond all the statistics and figures, Starr’s goal for the game remains plain and simple.

“Play and be locked into the game. We’ve been playing well transitionally,” Starr said of the Terriers’ first few games of the year. “It will be a hard, tough, high-paced, fun game. I just want them to play the hockey that’s in front of them.”