Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Black Cocaine: Mobb Deep’s first release in five years

Since the release of their classic sophomore album, The Infamous, Prodigy and Havoc, also known as Mobb Deep, have constantly released albums that any hip-hop fan must have in their collection. They have survived much, from beefing with Tru Life and signing with G-Unit Records to Prodigy being diagnosed with sickle-cell anemia and, most recently, the incarceration of Prodigy. Now they are set to drop their first release over in five years, Black Cocaine (EP).

Mobb Deep's Black Cocaine

The name was just released last week via friend of Mobb Deep’s and super producer, The Alchemist. The producers Twitter page read tersely, “Mobb Deep : The Black Cocaine EP.” The album will be released on November 25th, and with all the hype surrounding the release of Prodigy from prison, it couldn’t come at a better time.

Prodigy was arrested incarcerated in 2007 for gun possession, initially stopped by police for making an illegal U-turn with The Alchemist also in the car. Before Prodigy’s sentence began, he feverishly recorded heaps of material to keep on the street so that he could remain relevant during his sentence. He recorded his mixtape, H.N.I.C. 2, in quick sessions in late 2007. The record went on to sell more than 100,000 units. Days before his incarceration, Riotsquad.com sat Prodigy down to ask him a few questions.

“Is there another Mobb Deep album in the works as well?”

Prodigy responded, “I don’t know; that’s down the line. We’re gonna cross that bridge when we come to it.”

While in prison, it seems Prodigy had plenty of time to think about a new Mobb Deep album, and since his release on March 7th, they have not only announced the coming of the new record – Prodigy has also released an autobiography. Prodigy said in an interview with Vibe magazine’s Sacha Jenkins that jail time allowed him to get his “mind and body back together.” The book, aptly titled My Infamous Life, was released to much fanfare in April of this year.

Now, with the release of Black Cocaine on November 25th, Mobb Deep is set to once again lay claim to the precious title of kings of New York, especially with the recent establishment of a distribution deal with Sony and the Mobb’s Infamous Records. For the new record, Havoc and Prodigy have enlisted a variety of producers, including critically acclaimed friend Alchemist and unknowns like Young Free. This will be the first Mobb Deep record with Nas making a guest appearance in twelve years, since his verse on Murda Muzik’s “It’s Mine.”

In an interview with XXL’s Shaheim Reid, Havoc described Black Cocaine saying “[we] need to go do [our] own thing with no restraints.” With the release of Black Cocaine on the busiest shopping day in America, Black Friday (coincidence?), Havoc and Prodigy seem certain that the Mobb has a long way to go and a new era is just beginning.