Early conference litmus test awaits men’s soccer in UMBC

In what has a chance to be a preview to this year’s America East Conference men’s soccer championship game, Boston University will host the University of Maryland-Baltimore County Saturday at Nickerson Field.

JACKIE ROBERTSON/DFP FILE PHOTO Men's soccer defender Taylor Washington has been an integral part of BU's back line in just his freshman year.

The Terriers (5-5-0, 1-0-0 AE) have finally hit a winning streak after struggling early in the season. BU is in the middle of a three-game winning streak, and most recently knocked off No. 22 Providence College Tuesday.

Despite the positive results lately, BU coach Neil Roberts still sees room for improvement.

“We are definitely figuring some things out, but there is still a long way to go from where we need to be or want to be,” Roberts said. “We are definitely heading in the right direction.”

UMBC (4-3-3, 1-0-0 AE) has been inconsistent this season, but has shown it has the ability to play with any team in the country. The defending America East champion’s most impressive game may have come in a loss, when they were defeated by No. 1 University of Maryland by a score of 4-3 in double overtime.

With talented forwards Andrew Bulls and Pete Caringi leading the way for the Retrievers, the Terrier defense will have one of their toughest tests it has faced all season.

“Bulls is very good — he finds lanes and he can hit a lane quickly and if he gets the ball going to goal he is dangerous,” Roberts said. “We will definitely have to be aware of where [Bulls and Caringi] are because they look for those two guys.”

Defensively, the Terriers have stood out lately, posting back-to-back shutouts. Some of the credit for these performances should go to the reigning America East Rookie of the Week, freshman goalkeeper Nick Thomson.

However, the defensive unit as a whole has shown great improvement in their poise and decision-making in recent games.

“The defense is playing better — I think they are starting to feel a little bit more comfortable,” Roberts said. “I think we still have work to do as a total group, but I think it is getting there.”

One defender who has made his mark on the team offensively has been freshman Taylor Washington. Washington has appeared on the score sheet with a key assist in Tuesday’s win, as well as the game-winning goal against Harvard last Wednesday.

The Terriers may still be without two of their most talented and experienced players in senior defender Colin Henry and senior forward Ben Berube. Henry is still recovering from a hamstring injury, while Berube is trying to fully heal his quad before he tests it again. The two will be evaluated over the next few days before they are inserted back into the lineup.

With Berube out, senior midfielder Stephen Knox has been relied upon to create offense for the Terriers. While he did score the game-winning goal against Providence on Tuesday, freshmen forward Dominique Badji and freshman midfielder Cameron Souri will also be thrust into key attacking roles in Saturday’s game.

And while conference play is just getting started, every America East game is important for BU, as it will be vying for the top spot in the league.

“When you play a conference team, three points from the top team or three points from the bottom team, you try to take your points when you can get them,” Roberts said.

While it may be early to predict the standings at the end of the season, these two teams were ranked among the top of the preseason rankings and will not lose many more America East games all season.

“I think coming into the season, I think they are definitely the most experienced and most talented team,” Roberts said. “It should be a great game.”

1. Great new website Craig and team! Love the new look, clean uncluttered and intuitive interface as it contains so many links and useful resources to support all of your wonderful initiatives. Congrats to all concerned.Gerry