Don’t bring a cat to a dog fight: Women’s soccer pounds Binghamton

Returning to Nickerson Field on Sunday afternoon, the Boston University women’s soccer team proved to be unbeatable once again with another triumphant match in the America East Conference as the Terriers (12-2-1, 5-0-0 America East) defeated the Binghamton University Bearcats, 4-1.

GRACE DONNELLY/DFP FILE PHOTO Senior midfielder Jessica Luscinski led the way for the Terriers in the win.

“It was a good game for us,” said senior midfielder Jessica Luscinski. “To get back to scoring a lot of goals was huge, [to] get back on track for just how we want to be winning games. Possession was good for us today.”

The match began with complete domination by the Terriers, from both offensive and defensive standpoints. The Bearcats (9-12, 1-3 America East) proved no match for BU, which scored twice before 15 minutes had passed. Senior forward Tiya Gallegos and sophomore midfielder Kylie Strom were the first to score, with both assists coming from Luscinski.

Gallegos has been on a tear lately, scoring all four of her goals this season in the past four games.

“The goals are kind of random,” Gallegos said. “Everyone scores them and, honestly, I don’t care who scores as long as we’re winning and the balls are hitting the back on the net. It’s exciting to see a lot of different people score.”

Junior forward Candice Rowland of Binghamton scored the Bearcat’s first and only goal of the game nearly 15 minutes into the first half.

“I just think we lacked urgency and lacked discipline in our defending,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “I was disappointed about that.”

Despite the minor setback, the Terriers did not give up; rather, they put forth even more effort with another goal before the end of the first half by senior midfielder Brittany Heist, assisted by junior midfielder Brea Hewitt.

“[Heist’s goal] was real important right before the half both because it separated us a little bit and we weren’t in such a nail biter, but also I thought our response to that goal and getting that before the half was good,” Feldman said. “I just think our attacking play has improved. I think we’re more dynamic.”

The second half brought more action for the Terriers with another goal, this time by Luscinski and assisted by Strom.

“Kylie Strom did all the work — that’s pretty much all that can be said about that,” Luscinski, who is tied with Strom for the team lead in goals, said. “She got the ball…and she put a ball beautifully through and I all I really had to do was hit it in.”

Additionally, there was a plethora of deep shots from many different players. At the end of the day, the team had 34 shots on goal.

“I always look at performance, and then goals,” Feldman said. “Thirty-four shots, you create that many chances, you want to put teams away.

“And so scoring goals, putting teams away, and not giving them hope, I think there’s a psychological advantage as you move forward. It certainly sends messages…It also gives you a chance to play other players.”