City, News, Politics

Initiative aims to reduce smoking in Boston homes

Mayor Thomas Menino launched a smoke-free housing registry on Tuesday as part of an initiative to accommodate Boston residents who want to live in smoke-free buildings, according to an Oct. 11 press release from the mayor’s office.

The mayor announced a new public awareness campaign that would promote the registry by offering free nicotine patches to Boston residents who want to quit smoking, among other strategies.

“Healthy homes are the foundation of a healthier Boston, and this initiative is a great example of how city government, working with developers and landlords, can come together to improve peoples’ lives,” Menino said.

The mayor was “flanked” by public health and smoke-free housing advocates to create a safer and healthier environment for residents, according to the press release.The registry was created by the Boston Public Health Commission, which is offering technical assistance to property owners who need help turning their buildings into smoke-free residences.

BHPC is working with the Boston Housing Authority, Boston Redevelopment Authority, Boston Fire Development and the department of Neighborhood Development, as well as housing developers and managers, to promote the availability of smoke-free homes.

“Smoke-free housing means fewer trips to the hospital for asthma attacks and fewer residential fires,” said Barbara Ferrer, executive director of the BPHC, in the press release.

Boston plans to promote the registry through outreach to landlords, banners and advertisements on radio, television and print. The campaign also includes the creation of a Boston Smoke-free Homes website.The mayor said city of Boston employees who own property in the city should join the effort and register their properties as smoke-free at the Boston Smoke-free Homes website.

1. on . April 21st, 2012 at . 1:45 am

2. Otherwise you end up having to constantly relight it during consumption.
    On the contrary, they went past transport methods, as they raised the dosage.
    Smoke coming from the tailpipe displays in one of three colors:
    blue, white, or black.