Milestones culminate in rout for women’s soccer

While winning is nothing new for the Boston University women’s soccer team, the Terriers (14-2-1, 7-0-0 America East) accomplished a few new feats in its game against the University of Maryland—Baltimore on Sunday, where it triumphed over the Retrievers with a final score of 8-0.

Individually, personal records were set and milestones were notched, as sophomore midfielder Alejandra Diaz scored the first goal of the season and her collegiate career with just 15 minutes remaining in the match, putting BU ahead of the Retrievers (0-13-2, 0-5-1 America East) by the final margin of victory.

Also stepping into the spotlight was sophomore midfielder Megan McGoldrick, as the Reading, Ma. native got the ball to the back of the net not twice during her first game with a goal.

“[Scoring a goal is] very relieving,” said McGoldrick. “It’s nice coming back, from being injured for a year and then trying to play through a bunch of injuries this season. It’s just nice to put it in the back of the net.

“There’s definitely much anticipation coming back and playing, I was so excited. I mean, I obviously wanted to score a goal and it’s better late than never I guess.”

Currently, senior midfielder Jessica Luscinski and sophomore midfielder Kylie Strom lead the team in number of goals this season, with seven points each. Luscinski also holds eighth place in points scored over the course of her career. The Bedford, N.H. native also holds fourth place for number of goals and overall points scored in a single season, with 12 goals and a total of 31 points in 2010.

One player who has excelled lately is certainly senior forward Tiya Gallegos, who has come into her own in the latest round of games.

In the past few weeks, Gallegos has gone from no goals on the season to five goals and numerous assists. While it is not one of her major concerns, she may have the ability to surpass Luscinski and Strom for goals on the season.

“It’s not really about the number of goals or the individual statistics for me and for the rest of our team as well — I don’t care who scores, all I care is that we’re winning,” said Gallegos. “I love it when people who don’t usually get to score, get to score. That makes me really happy…the defense does the dirty, hard work that no one wants to do so it’s always good when someone like that scores.”

On a larger scale, the Terriers as a team made quite an impact as well.

BU has not won a game with such a big difference in the final score in over a decade.  Not since 1998 have they acquired so many goals, in a match against Providence with a final score of 8-3. The most goals the women have ever scored in a game was 11 in a shutout against Howard University in BU’s inaugural season.

Sunday’s match also made an impression on head coach Nancy Feldman’s record. She has coached the women’s soccer team since it first began in 1995. From its start to now, the team has won 219 matches under the guidance of Feldman.

With such an excellent record thus far, the Terriers certainly have the odds in their favor as they continue forth in the America East Conference.

Yet, despite all of these fantastic games, the women continue to take the season one day at a time, one of the many factors that lead to their success.

“For us, we have team goals set so every game we’re just trying to keep our team goals,” Gallegos said. “We have a certain amount of goals that we want to score, a certain amount of goals that we want against us, or less than that. And also, we realize this is going to be a game with a lot of distractions.

“Every game is going to be a battle; every game’s going to be like a BC game. For us, everybody brings their best game.”