Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

An interview with Sean Mackin of Yellowcard

In the months following their reunion and the release of their latest full length, When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes, pop-punks Yellowcard feel reinvigorated. Touring with All Time Low, and recently kicking off their headlining tour, the band seems reborn. Violinist Sean Mackin chatted with MUSE staff writer Erik Rojas about the tour, their album and the future.

Erik Rojas: Hi Sean, How’s it going?

Sean Mackin: Good Erik how are you?

E.R: I’m good brother as well brother! The first question I have to ask is how has the tour been going so far? I understand it just kicked off a couple days ago in Anaheim.

S.M: Yeah, it started off about two days ago, and it was great for us, because the first show we ever sold out was actually in Anaheim about two years ago! We had a good crowd there, at the House of Blues, and we really put together a set that speaks to the Yellowcard fans over the years.  You know we tried to mix in the popular songs with some of the less played ones. We’ve got about a 20 song set list, and it looks like everyone is having a good time so far!

E.R: That sounds awesome. I actually wanted to ask you about the Vinyl collection that you put out through Hopeless Records. What made you decide on rereleasing your discography as a set in that format?

S.M: Well we’ve always wanted to have that sort of release in the past. We always wanted to sync up with our record label as we are now. We’re really fortunate to be on Hopeless, they’re in tune with a lot of things, like what the audience wants, and what our fans want, and we wanted to give [our fans] something special that we’ve never done before. It took us a while to make sure we had all of our “i’s” dotted and our “t’s” crossed, but once we were able to do it, we decided on making a special release for the box set.

E.R: In regards to Hopeless, I know you did make the switch from a major label to Hopeless. How is the dynamic different between the two organizations?

S.M: Yeah there are definitely a lot of differences. You know, it was a switch from a giant corporation to a ten-man operation that was really in tune with what’s going on within your genre. I mean they have had some amazing bands on their label, and having the opportunity to work with a label that is so current is awesome. But I mean when we were at Capitol, we had a great experience with them. Things changed though, the economy changed, the music industry changed, so the people at Capitol who were really batting for us ended up having to move on or find other jobs, so it was difficult to co-exist [on Capitol], and we ended up finding a great partner in Hopeless Records, so it was exciting to find the next chapter of YellowCard starting with a great partnership.

E.R: Sounds like a solid move. I had just one more question, this one in regards to your latest record, When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes. It was very well received for picking up right where you sort of left off, sound wise. For your next album do you plan on any changes?

S.M: So when we put out When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes, we kind of combined that “vintage” Yellowcard sound with all of the other evolution from previous records. The five of us are all constantly changing, but I think that the Yellowcard sound will always come through, because it seems to be the common ground between the five of us. I mean, LP loves heavy metal and listens to Pantera, and I have classical roots, and Ryan is really in tune with the Pop and Pop-Rock scene. We have so many different influences, and it causes our sound to constantly evolve. I don’t know what’s in store on the next record, but we do have material that we are thinking of for a 2012 release. We are really excited about the future, but right now it’s all about the tour with Every Avenue and Go Radio!

E.R: I feel that. Well those are all the questions I’ve got, thank you very much Sean!

S.M: Awesome! Can’t wait to come to Boston, we love that city!