Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Kiwi Rockin’ In The Free World

In the most innocent New Zealand accent I’ve ever heard, Alisa Xayalith of The Naked and Famous politely asked the sold out Paradise Rock Club crowd, “Do you mind if we play some more music for you?”

My fellow plaid-wearing, thick-framed glasses brethren exclaimed, “YES!”

The five-member New Zealand alternative rock outfit consists of Alisa Xayalith, Thom Powers, Aaron Short, David Beadle and Jesse Wood. The Naked and Famous released their debut album, Passive Me, Aggressive You in Sept. 2010. The album has since gained critical acclaim, reaching number one in New Zealand and is climbing the charts in the U.S. I grew a love for them last semester, after hearing “All of This” on our student-run radio station, WTBU.

The band exploded onto the stage; the lights dimmed, the sounds of the synthesizer enveloped the room and powers let out a continuous low hymn. For the next hour, fans would be in an electronic rock powerhouse. From start to finish, each song sounded as brilliantly orchestrated as it did in the studio. Not a single vocal was off key by Xayalith. From the fast paced “Wolf In Geek’s Clothing” to the soft, transcendental “End,” The Naked and Famous demonstrated their artistry of synth-pop to psychedelic rock. Showing their mastery of multiple genres, Xayalith and Powers continuously adjusted their singing styles to pertain to the different styles of songs.

They closed with their most famous song “Young Blood,” to which every single person was singing along. The song began with the fast, electronic beat, comparable to many songs by MGMT. The opening lyrics of “Young Blood” best represent the theme of the night: “We’re all young and naive still/We require certain skill/The motive changes like the wind/Hard to control when it begins.”

Passive Me, Aggressive You is an album that embodies the feeling of youth and the show was emblematic of that. The signature synths and high-pitched vocals of Xayalith and Powers created energetic vibes throughout the small venue. “Young Blood” left me with a rush that didn’t dissipate or hours. These Kiwis can rock.