Basketball, NCAA, Sports

Women’s basketball rams Rhode Island 71-44

The Boston University women’s basketball team won its second straight game and remained unbeaten at home as it defeated the University of Rhode Island 71-44 on Saturday afternoon. This marked a continuation of the Terriers’ (3-2) dominant play at Case Gymnasium, as they have now won 41 of their last 50 games on their home court.

DFP FILE PHOTO Guard Alex Young scored 18 points in BU's 71-44 win over Rhode Island.

“We played with a lot of aggressiveness,” said BU coach Kelly Greenberg. “It was a really good team effort.”

URI (1-5) struggled to get the ball in the basket, ending the game with only a 27.8 field goal percentage – its lowest on the year.

BU fared much better with scoring, and made 25 of 62 attempts (40.3 percent).

Senior guard Alex Young led the team with 18 points in the contest. Before the game, she was given a commemorative basketball for scoring her 1000th career point against the University of Massachusetts on Nov. 13.

Junior guard Chantell Alford also put up strong numbers for the Terriers, earning 15 points and five rebounds.

“I think when they are aggressive, when they come out and take it right to them, they’re hard to stop,” Greenberg said of Young and Alford. “They are two really great weapons for us. They’re really clicking.”

Forward Emilie Cloutier and guard Ajanae Boone led the Rams with 12 points apiece.
The first half of the game was marked by four lead changes, and URI entered the half down by only five points.

Both teams were perfect from the free-throw line during the first half with URI going 4-for-4 and BU making all seven of its attempts.

This back-and-forth play would not continue into the second half, as the Terriers, led by Alford and Young, would not surrender the lead again.

“Every game I talk about halftime the score is zero-zero,” Greenberg said. “So far this season we have been a second-half team.”

The Terriers opened the second half on a 15-2 scoring run, started off by three straight 3-pointers from Alford, Young and junior guard Mo Moran. Though URI would get one basket back, the Terriers responded with six straight points, further increasing their lead.

The Terriers’ run of 3-pointers was an interesting parallel to the first half, which opened the exact same way, but with the Rams scoring instead of BU.

The closest the Rams would get to BU during the second half was within 13 points. The Terriers offense continued to put the ball in the hoop, scoring 39 points in the frame.
Four of the team’s starters – Young, Alford, senior forward Caroline Stewart and sophomore center Rashidat Agboola – scored double digits to lead the team’s offense.

“Offensively, we were really getting some really fast break opportunities,” Greenberg said. “We played with a lot of aggressiveness. It was a really good team effort.”

BU also outplayed its opponent defensively, forcing 17 turnovers while only allowing nine of its own. Alford led the Terriers with seven of the team’s twelve steals.

BU had a 44-37 advantage in rebounds and stifled the Rams’ offense in the second half.

“No matter who had the ball, we were really bothering the person,” Greenberg said. “[We] just didn’t let them feel comfortable with the ball. That was one of our goals.”

The Terriers strong play meant that every player on the team was able, at some point, to come off the bench, something Greenberg felt was an incredibly good morale booster for everyone.

“All of our players work real hard. Not all of them get to in get in every day,” Greenberg said. “It was great to have everyone play.”