Basketball, NCAA, Sports

Women’s basketball earns fifth straight win

The Boston University women’s basketball team remains undefeated in America East play after they defeated the University at Albany 58-54. This win puts the Terriers in first place in America East with a 5-0 record in conference play.

Junior guard Mo Moran scored 17 points during BU's win over Albany Monday night. RACHAEL CORTELLESSA/DFP STAFF

Despite a late rally by Albany (11-8, 5-1 America East) and a close scoring game overall, the Terriers (12-6) were able to hold off their conference foes to secure their fifth straight win.

Last season, the Terriers fell to Albany 77-68, which was their first conference loss of the year. The game was tightly contested, with the lead changing 15 times.

Holding true to the history of competitive contests between BU and Albany, Monday’s game was off to a close start and remained that way for the entirety of play.

Senior guard Alex Young gave the Terriers some breathing room at 13:39 with a 3-pointer that gave BU a 12-6 advantage.

Albany then surged back, tying the game at 13 with a three by sophomore Lindsey Lowrie. Sophomore forward Rashidat Agboola responded, sinking two shots from the charity stripe.

Albany’s Sarah Royals who sunk a 3-pointer to give the Great Danes the lead soon countered the Terriers’ effort. Lowrie extended Albany’s lead to six, netting a 3-pointer with 5:38 left in the first half.

Junior guard Mo Moran cut the deficit by scoring two free throws and a layup, but Albany guard Ebone Henry, hit a free throw of her own to secure the Great Dane’s largest lead of the first half, 28-21.

The Terriers would eventually go to the locker room trailing 28-23.

BU came into the second half charging, scoring the first five points, three of which came on a 3-pointer by Young, tying the game 28-28. They finally gained the lead on a jumper by senior forward Caroline Stewart at 16:53.

The lead changed hands two more times before two free throws by Stewart gave BU a two-point lead that they would not give up for the rest of the game.

Nonetheless, the Great Danes did not go down without a fight. A 3-pointer by Lowrie cut the lead to two with nearly 8 minutes left to play. However, Young netted another 3-pointer of her own to keep BU on top, 47-41.

In a final effort, the Great Danes made a strong push to close the deficit, bringing the score within two with just 25 seconds left to play. Moran, however, sunk two final free throws to end the game with a BU victory, 58-54.

Moran led the Terriers offense, netting 17 points and adding five assists and three rebounds. Young was the second highest scorer of the game, with 13 points, followed by Stewart, who nearly hit a double-double with nine points and 10 rebounds.

Junior guard Chantell Alford added eight points to the scoring, and matched Moran with five rebounds. Agboola followed close behind with a game record of seven points and six rebounds before fouling out with 4:04 left in the second half.

Monday’s game capped off the eight games the Terriers played during the winter break. Over that period, BU went 6-2 defeating five America East opponents, as well as with the Naval Academy.

The Terriers fell to Coppin State University during the first round of the Fordham Holiday Classic before defeating Navy. BU also lost to St. John’s University before beginning its current five-game win streak.

BU will return to Case Gymnasium on Thursday to face off against the University of New Hampshire in its first game of the semester.