Basketball, NCAA, Sports

Women’s basketball never relinquishes lead in win over Wildcats

The Boston University women’s basketball team is still undefeated in America East play and on its home court after they defeated the University of New Hampshire 79-39 Thursday night.

The Terriers (13-6, 6-0 America East) started the game with a strong offensive showing and never looked back. In a contest that it never trailed, BU scored a season-high 79 points.

Though UNH (10-8, 3-3 America East) posted a good effort, it was unable to out shoot BU. This is the third straight home game that the Terriers have kept their opponent’s scoring below 40 points.

“I think our non-conference schedule certainly prepares us for America East play,” said BU coach Kelley Greenberg. “This is what the season’s all about – America East play. So I think that there’s been tremendous focus at practice and were bringing it in right to games.”

BU started off strong with eight unanswered points. UNH wasn’t able to get on the board until the 16:19 mark, with a pair of free throws from junior Morgan Frame. The Terriers shot 38.5 percent (25-of-65) for the game, while the Wildcats managed a 21.8 field goal percentage (12-of-55).

America East Player of the Game, junior guard Chantell Alford, netted a jumper and went to the line to secure a double-digit advantage, 21-12, with just 7:34 left in the first half.

Continuing with its strong offense, the Terriers widened the scoring gap, 30-12, after senior guard Alex Young sank a 3-pointer nearing the end of the first half.  BU went into halftime leading by 20, 38-18.

“We don’t have many offenses,” Greenberg said, “[but] I think the ones we’re running, we’re running very well, our screens are very sharp.”

The Wildcats fought to cut the deficit in the second half, managing 19 points, but that was no contest for the Terriers. BU picked up right where it left off, with a three from Young right out of the gate.

Followed by a layup from sophomore forward Rashidat Agboola, the Terriers went on a 16-3 run to take over a 30 point lead, 66-33, with 7:23 left to play.

All 13 players on the roster saw action on the road to the 79-39 victory. Rookie guard Troi Melton netted eight points and had five steals in only nine minutes of playing time.

While the newcomers had a chance to see some action, it was the veterans that solidified this win.

“We have a veteran starting line-up, “Greenberg said, “and our players really know the players on the other team and they have a good feel for what they want to do so that really helps a lot.”

Alford scored a team-high 17 points in combination with six rebounds, six assists and two steals.

“Chantell hit some threes tonight,” Greenberg said, “their hands were down, they weren’t ready to get up on it and she knocked them down. She made them pay for it.”

But Alford wasn’t the only player in double-digits. Teammates Young and junior guard Mo Moran added 15 and 10 points, respectively. Young also added six rebounds, while Moran added four rebounds and four assists.

“With Chantell, Mo and Alex on the perimeter, people have to play us so things are opening up inside for us a little bit,” Greenberg said, “which is great. There’s been a lot of great balance.”

Agboola earned her fourth double-double of the season posting 14 points and a game-high of 12 rebounds. She also recorded a career-high of 4 blocks.

The Terriers hope to extend their winning streak to seven when they host University of Hartford at Case Gymnasium this Sunday.

“Myself and the coaching staff, we couldn’t be happier with where we are right now,” Greenberg said, “but we certainly aren’t going to settle. You know, in our eyes this was just game number six, you know, and then tomorrow we start talking about game number seven.”