Basketball, NCAA, Sports

Women’s basketball looks to remain undefeated in conference

After a strong performance at Agganis Arena, the Boston University women’s basketball team heads to Binghamton University looking to stay undefeated in the America East Conference.

“I think our team is wise,” said BU coach Kelly Greenberg. “We try to learn something from each game.”

The Terriers (16-6, 9-0 America East) defeated the University of Vermont 72-64 to improve their winning streak to nine on Wednesday. Although BU trailed Vermont 35-30 at the half, they went 8-for-12 (66.7 percent) from behind the arc and had an overall scoring percentage of 40.3 (25-of-62) to secure the win.

“We have a lot of things we can keep working on,” Greenberg said. “Rebounding is our number one key… We certainly let them rebound way too much [Wednesday] night, which was why the game was closer.”

Junior guard Chantell Alford was named America East Play of the Game scoring a season-high 28 points. She shot just short of her career-high 29 points, which she reached against UVM last season. Alford also matched her career-high of five 3-pointers.

Along with Alford, another Terrier reached double-digits in Wednesday’s game. Sophomore forward Rashidat Agboola scored 14 points and grabbed four rebounds.

Senior forward Caroline Stewart and junior guard Mo Moran also added to BU’s offense, netting nine and eights points, respectively. Moran also matched her season-high record with eight assists.

With this win, the Terriers remain undefeated on their home court as well as in conference play.

Binghamton (11-12, 5-5 America East) saw success on Wednesday, as well, when they triumphed over Stony Brook University 55-46.

Senior forward Viive Rebane finished with a game-high 16 points and senior guard Orla O’Reilly added 15 points to lead them to victory. Rabane has also averaged 10 rebounds in the past three games.

The Terriers last faced the Bearcats at home in early January, where they defeated Binghamton 60-48, earning them their second America East victory of the season.

Moran was the leading scorer with 13 points. The guard wasted no time, netting a three to open the game.  Alford and Agboola also scored in the double-digits, each netting 12 points.

Stewart nearly reached a double-double, scoring nine points and grabbing 10 rebounds.

BU took the lead going into halftime and never gave it back. Although Binghamton was able to cut the deficit to within 2 points, it could not overcome the Terriers strong defense.

On the Binghamton offense, O’Reilly scored 15 points, while senior guard Andrea Holmes netted a game-high 16 points.

The Terriers outshot Binghamton 38.5 percent to 33.3 percent, while the Terriers also held the advantage, out rebounding the Bearcats 39-37.

The Terriers last faced Binghamton on the road in the 2010-11 season where they lost 59-53.

“They get the biggest crowds,” Greenberg said on playing away at Binghamton. “They’re rowdy and into it. It’s a nice venue and [the team] is very talented.”

While they have enjoyed the cushion of a 9-0 record in America East, the Terriers haven’t stopped strategizing for their next win.

“We’ll be need to be very familiar with them,” Greenberg said. “Our scouting report will be very important as far as where they like to run and how they get their shots. If we defend and play team defense and rebound we’ll put ourselves in a good position to win.

“This may be our toughest challenge yet.”