Lacrosse, NCAA, Sports

Women’s lacrosse gets fresh start, attempts new conference streak

Despite falling short in its quest for seven consecutive America East championships last season, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team will try to start a new championship streak this season. The Terriers were ranked No. 2 in the 2012 America East Coaches’ Poll, just behind defending champs University at Albany.

Last year, the Terriers fell to the University of Baltimore-Maryland in the America East semifinal, but the new season brings a new BU team.

“I’m excited to see what the girls put together,” said BU coach Liz Robertshaw. “We are definitely top-heavy with the freshman and sophomore classes so that means a lot more learning for us . . . It is going to be a work in progress in the early games, but I am looking forward to seeing them play somebody else and getting after what they can do and see how good they can be.”

The BU attack should have no problem generating offense, as it was one of the best in the league last season thanks to some returning players. Junior attack Danielle Etrasco led America East in goals with 57, while senior Hannah Frey ranked ninth with 2.00 goals per game.

“I’m excited to see what our attack can do,” Robertshaw said. “Obviously Danielle has had a really good year being named to the national team and is playing a very high level of lacrosse. Hannah has been doing some nice things . . . so I’m excited.”

Offensive production may take a blow as it lost attack Erica Baumgartner, who led the team and was second in the league with 25 assists, to graduation after last season. However, senior Catie Tilton was third in the league with 23 assists last season, and will serve as a replacement to Baumgartner.

In the midfield, look for senior Annie Stookesberry, junior Kristen Mogavero and sophomore Sydney Godett to assume starting roles. Mogavero will look to return from an injury, which cut her season short last year, while Godett will aim to build on a freshman year in which she was a unanimous selection to the America East All-Rookie Team.

“Obviously with Sydney and Kristen Mogavero, I’m looking forward to them having another good year,” Robertshaw said. “[Sophomore midfielders] Nell Burdis and Becca Church have really stepped into that role, and Annie Stookesberry has really shown a lot of leadership, a lot of confidence, and comfortability [sic] and I think that is paving the way for a lot of other midfielders to follow suit.”

The defense will rely on more experienced players this season, as it does not have a single freshman defender on the roster. The group of defenders also does not have any seniors.

Junior Brittany Carlin led returning Terrier defenders with 20 ground balls last season, and she started all 17 games.

“ It’s going to be led by Brittany Carlin, [junior defender] Monica Baumgartner, [sophomore defender] Christie Hart, those are three of the steadfast defenders that we have seen who have really stepped up into that role,” Robertshaw said. “We are a little bit younger on the defensive side, but we are going to push them to take chances, take risks and to protect each other.”

At goalkeeper, BU has two solid backstops in junior Kim Elsworth and sophomore Christina Sheridan. Sheridan took over in goal last season, as she started 14 of the 17 games. Over her 16 appearances on the season, she made 103 saves and had a .420 save percentage.

“They have been absolutely battling it out this preseason. They are making it really difficult for the coaches to make a decision, and we will find out [Wednesday] who is starting,” Robertshaw said.

The Terriers’ first game is today at the University of Massachusetts, where they will look to start the season on the right foot. In last year’s season opener, the Terriers lost to the Minutewomen 13-12 at Nickerson Field.

“UMass is a strong team and they are very aggressive,” Robertshaw said. “We are going to be tested, and I think it’s going to be something that is good for our team because we will see what we are made of.”