Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fan support will not fade

This has easily been the most dramatic year off the ice in the history of our hockey program. My personal philosophy has always been that this program is so much bigger than anyone on it, no matter how talented, popular or controversial those players may be. This is the main reason when the 2009 National Championship team did an autograph session in the GSU upon returning from D.C., I did not bring my jersey. Sure, they brought me on the wildest ride of my life, but those 27 men only represented that year’s version of the Terriers. They did not embody the entire program, unlike the scarlet and white jerseys we don every weekend.

Along those lines, the alleged actions of a couple individuals, although utterly horrifying, do not make me question my support for those on the team now and in the future. I am delighted to see that so many BU students and fans appear to have the same beliefs.

The final weeks of the season will not be the easiest to take as players or fans. I’m sure many opposing fans will hurl inappropriate remarks in our direction. Despite the fact that these schools have had scandals of their own, I would urge other BU fans not go down the path of referencing hazing incidents, recruiting violations or other disgraceful actions.

Instead, should the insult be an offensive chant, drown them out in a pro-Terriers chant. Should someone say something to you while walking to the arena, feel free to point out that these allegations are far from indicative of our school or program. Our team raised thousands for Autism Speaks, and one of the members co-founded a charity of his own. The Dog Pound’s members have donated hundreds of dollars to the relief of fire victims, Boston’s Rape Crisis Center and Autism Speaks. Isn’t that more indicative of our university as a whole than what has recently made headlines?

That is what The Dog Pound is: passionate, loyal and dedicated. It will take a lot more than the alleged actions of a few or the misguided words of opponents to change that. There are infinite reasons to be proud to BU; don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

-Will McColl, SMG 2012