NCAA, Softball, Sports

Bryant comes from behind to top Terriers

The Boston University softball team suffered a loss as it dropped a 3-2 decision to Bryant University Wednesday afternoon. The loss, its fourth in five games, marked another disappointment for a team that seems to be in a bit of a slump.

“We’ve got some work to do going into this weekend, the next couple days,” said BU coach Shawn Rychcik.

The last time BU (20-12, 4-2 America East) faced Bryant (8-17) the Terriers defeated the Bulldogs 13-3, smashing a record 19 hits as they pounded their opponents. Wednesday afternoon was a different story, as the Terriers could not keep the momentum going from their 8-3 victory against Stony Brook University Sunday afternoon.

Junior Erin Schuppert took the mound again for the Terriers for her third start in as many games, holding Bryant to three earned runs before she was taken out and replaced by sophomore Holli Floetker. Schuppert (4-5) allowed only four hits while striking out four, but her team’s offense could not make up the difference.

Despite a 3-for-3 effort by sophomore shortstop Brittany Clendenny, including two doubles, the Terriers only put two runs on the board as their offensive struggles continued.

The game remained scoreless for the first two and a half innings before BU scored two runs in the bottom of the third. Senior second baseman Melanie Delgado started off the inning for the Terriers with a lead-off single. She quickly advanced to second when sophomore right fielder Jayme Mask singled.

Sophomore third baseman Megan Volpano reached first after a fielding error by Bryant shortstop Aubrey Mable, allowing Delgado and Mask to score, putting the Terriers’ only runs on the board.

The Terriers held their lead through the top of the fourth and seemed poised for more runs when Clendenny hit a double to lead off the bottom of the fourth. Bryant, however, turned over three quick outs before she could score.

“Obviously we haven’t played exactly how we did down south [at the beginning of the season],” Rychcik said. “I thought we played really good against some really good competition and you know, a lot changes.”

With two outs in the top of the fifth, Bryant tied the score. Outfielder Lauren Guy hit a two-out single up the middle before being brought home when second baseman Laura Bowen hit a home run to left field. The Bulldogs scored the winning run in the top of the sixth when a fielder’s choice allowed catcher Kendall Corder to score from third.

Despite having two runners in scoring position with only one out, the Terriers did not score after rookie left fielder Mandy Fernandez and sophomore first baseman Chelsea Kehr struck out. BU had no base runners in the bottom of the seventh.

After being hit by a pitch in the hand during the first game in Sunday’s doubleheader, junior second baseman Emily Roesch did not play for the second game in a row.

While BU has lost four of its last five, it has a chance to break its current slump up north at the University of Maine this weekend with a three-game series.

“We’re the most talented team in the league,” Rychcik said. “We have the best pitching, I think we have the best hitting still. . . . Talent-wise I know we’re still the best team in this league.”