Cross Country, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Sports

Three student athletes honored by BU for leadership, ability

The Boston University Athletic Department announced Wednesday that it would honor three student athletes during its Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Senior captain Chris Connolly of the men’s hockey team and senior tri-captain Brittany Heist of the women’s soccer team will receive the Aldo “Buff” Donelli Memorial Leadership Award, which is given to a current male and female senior and student athlete who have shown exceptional leadership qualities on and off the field.

Men’s soccer’s Michael Bustamante, who will return next season for a fifth year after red shirting during the 2011 season, will receive the Irv Heller Hall of Fame Scholarship.

Bustamante also earned the award in 2010. The award is named after Irving J. Heller, who played for the BU football team and was a coach of the freshman team. Heller is a member of the BU Athletics Hall of Fame.

The “Buff” Donelli Memorial Leadership Award is one of many that Connolly has received over the past few months. Connolly, who was the first two-year captain on the men’s hockey team in more than 30 years, was honored with the Len Ceglarski Sportsmanship Award along with the Hockey East Best Defensive Forward Award.

During his senior season, Connolly competed in 38 games, scoring nine goals and earning a career-high 31 assists.

Like Connolly, Heist played a vital role on her team this past year. Heist finished third on the women’s soccer team with 17 points, leading the team to not only its ninth America East Championship, but also to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Terriers, who have only made it that far in the tournament three times during their history, ultimately lost to Wake Forest University, 2-0, in that contest.

After the soccer season ended, Heist was named the America East Midfielder of the Year and placed on the America East All-Conference First Team for the second consecutive year.

Bustamante did not compete during the 2011 season after sustaining a leg injury during the spring. Prior to the season, he was named a CollegeSoccerNews.com Preseason All-American. Bustamante also was named to the MAC Hermann Award Watch List.

Bustamante, who has 23 career assists, is one assist short of making the program’s top 10 list. During his junior season, Bustamante was only the sixth player in BU history to be placed on the First Team All-America East Squad three times.

During the ceremony, BU Athletics will induct former Terrier players Jessica Alcorta (field hockey), Troy Billings (cross country), Nick Bone (men’s soccer), Carnell Henderson (football), Chrissy Lombard (lacrosse) and Christine Stief (cross country) during its 49th class.

BU will recognize six other individuals for supporting BU Athletics and for their accomplishments at the university.

The induction ceremony is expected take place on May 12 in the School of Management.