Ice Hockey, NCAA, Sports

Megan named men’s hockey captain for 2012-13 season after breakout year

During the 49th annual Friends of Boston University Hockey Banquet on Saturday, BU men’s hockey coach Jack Parker announced that junior forward Wade Megan will serve as the team’s captain during the 2012-13 season.

BU men's hockey coach Jack Parker named junior forward Wade Megan the men's hockey team's captain for the 2012-13 season. JUNHEE CHUNG/DFPStaff

“We’re extremely pleased with his effort and his growth,” Parker said of Megan in a recent interview with The Daily Free Press, “and we’re excited about having him back next season.”

After scoring a combined 13 goals in his first two seasons with the Terriers, Megan experienced a breakout 2011-12 campaign, during which he led BU with 20 goals.

The Canton, N.Y., native also tallied nine assists during the season.

“He was pretty consistent from day one,” Parker said. “Am I surprised that he became a goal scorer for us? Not at all. We expected him and recruited him to be a goal scorer. . . . Did I think he was going to get 20 for us? No, I didn’t think he’d make that big of a jump.”

Megan had one of his most noticeable games of the season during the first round of the Beanpot Tournament when he scored two goals to help the Terriers defeat Harvard University, 3-1. His two second-period goals included the game-winner.

Hockey East named Megan a top performer six different times during the course of the season.

Megan also took home the title of the Co-Most Improved Player along with sophomore defenseman Patrick MacGregor.

“He really flowered and grew into [a goal scorer] this year,” Parker said. “From the get-go, he was in better shape, he was more confident and he played that way.”

1. Alison Whinerstein

Megan? That the worse possible choice!

• With all due respect Alison, Megan is a no brainer when it comes to who should captain the BU hockey team. I know Wade as a player and better yet, as a person. He respects everyone he encounters and puts his heart and soul into everything he does. He works hard every day not to only become a better hockey player but he works day in and day out for his team mates. He is humble and will do an amazing job leading the Terriers this upcoming season, on and off the ice.

2. Pingback: My Hockey East Pre-Season rankings « The Hockey East Penalty Box