Cross Country, NCAA, Sports

Track and field find success in two separate invitationals

The Boston University men’s and women’s track and field teams experienced success in two different meets last weekend.

On April 20-21, the Terriers participated in the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, N.J.

Junior R.J. Page led BU with a first-place finish in the 200-meter dash on Saturday. Page’s classmate Stephen Vitale also fared well with a fourth place finish in the 400-meter hurdles. Vitale finished with a time of 52.37 seconds.

Seniors Tewado Latty and Joe Greenspun also had successful weekends. Latty finished second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 46.98 seconds, and Greenspun placed third in the 1500-meter run with a time of 3:52.51.

Senior Shelby Walton led the women’s team, finishing third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.25 seconds and fourth in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.89 seconds.

Junior Julia Mirochnick finished 12th in both the 100-meter hurdles and the 400-meter hurdles.

During the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Invitational on Saturday, senior Jeff Pelage and senior Michael Murowchick took second-place finishes for the men’s team.

Pelage finished second in the discus and the shot put with throws of 48.59 meters and 14.54 meters, respectively. Meanwhile, Murowchick placed second in the javelin with a throw of 52.25 meters.

Freshmen Nikolaos Farmakidis and Michael Maloof finished fifth in their respective events, as Farmakidis took the five spot in the pole vault, and Maloof took fifth in the hammer throw.

The Terriers also had two top-10 finishes on the track when junior Brian Greenfield and freshman Matt Solomon finished sixth and ninth, respectively, in the 1500-meter run.

The women’s team had even more success during the MIT Invitational thanks to the four members of the squad that took home first-place finishes.

Juniors Allison Barwise and Susan Ottey and sophomores Chelsea Curry and Sarah Dillard took first place in field events.

Barwise took the first-place spot in the high jump with a leap of 1.83 meters, and Ottey won the hammer throw with a heave of 42.58 meters.

Dillard threw 43.41 meters to win the discus, while Curry took home the top spot in shot put with a throw of 13.25 meters.

Curry and Barwise also had other top-five finishes, with Curry taking second in the hammer throw and Barwise taking fifth in the 200-meter dash.

The Terriers had three other top-10 finishes, including sophomore Chelsey Hanson, who took second in the triple jump.

Additionally, freshman Victoria Perez took fourth in the 400-meter hurdles and eighth in the 100-meter hurdles, and junior Danielle Bowen finished ninth with a time of 5:57.87 in the 1500-meter run.

Next weekend, BU will compete in the Penn Relays and the Brown Springtime Open.