Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Motion City Soundtrack Debuts Its Newest Album, Go

With one floor of general admission, the fans crowded in together tightly. They nodded their heads in appreciation and even danced along to the two bands that preceded Motion City Soundtrack, You Blew It! and The Henry Clay People.  With the temperature rising slowly after each set, the crowd was dripping with excitement as Motion City came on, starting the show right off with the song “Circuits and Wires” from their newest album Go.

Motion Soundtrack, debuting Go, played Saturday night at Middle East Restaurant and Night Club. Playing a combination of their most popular songs and songs from Go, the band captivated the crowd for their hour and a half set.

The small venue was packed with die-hard fans, who knew the words to every song on the new album. But they also went insane for favorites such as “L.G. FUAD,” “Everything is Alright,”  “The Future Freaks Me Out,” and their newest EP, “True Romance.”

Front man Justin Pierre was quirky, fun, and even caring. Half way through “Attractive Today” a fan passed out from the heat. Pierre automatically stopped playing and had the crowd part around the fan so security could help him, and he made sure everyone was okay and hydrated before he would start playing again. He also took a second in between songs to promote his friend’s blog “everyoneisgay.com” a humorous advice website with a focus on LGBTQ youth.

Pierre always takes time to meet the fans after every show. This photographer rushed her way to the front of the line so she could pose for a picture with her hero and gush at him for three minutes while he signed her press pass. She can assure you she will never be removing the wristband.

Go, which also means ‘five’ in Japanese (this being their fifth album) marks the bands maturity as artists while still holding true to their poppy melodies. Pierre’s self-loathing lyrics are offset by their upbeat instrumentals that have the tendency to get stuck in your head for days.  Chilling lyrics such as “I won’t say I’m sorry / This hasn’t been a waste of time / Tell me, do you think we’ll be fine after all? / I’m all nerve, an anxious, sort of complicated fear / The worst is yet to come, my dear” are coupled with catchy chorus’ completed by Pierre’s famous falsetto.

The primarily pop-punk band played a solid, energetic set that had the sold-out crowd singing at the top of their lungs, dancing their hearts out, crying tears of joy, and even passing out.