Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

The Best of Newport Folk Festival

I’ve wanted to go to the Newport Folk Festival since I was fourteen years old. That was the year that I saw the Bob Dylan documentary “No Direction Home,” and watched the clips of Dylan’s legendary electric performance in 1965.

Of all the music festivals throughout the country, Newport has the most storied history, and thus, for me, the greatest mystique.

Newport has always been about collaboration, community and respect. Artists who play at Newport make a point of recognizing the influences of their predecessors, while also extending a helping hand to the younger generation of artists. As Dawes lead singer Taylor Goldsmith said during his band’s set on Saturday, and festival closer Jackson Browne echoed during his Sunday night set, “This feels more like a family reunion than a festival of music.” I’m honored to have become part of the Newport family.

And now, we present the best of this year’s festival:

Best Collaboration – Conor Oberst and First Aid Kit, “Lua” 

As someone whose adolescence was largely soundtracked by Bright Eyes, “Lua” holds a special place in my heart. It’s hard for this song to fall flat live, but this take, in which the sisters from First Aid Kit joined Oberst on vocals, was easily the best I’ve ever heard. The performance exemplified what a collaboration should be about – Oberst and Johanna and Klara Söderberg were equal partners, with the girls singing most of the latter half of the song on their own, and Oberst not joining them again until the final verse. It wasn’t simply Oberst’s song anymore – it became something new altogether. 

Best Cover – My Morning Jacket and Brittany Howard, The Band’s “It Makes No Difference”

With the passing of The Band drummer and Newport Folk Fest staple Levon Helm earlier this year, it was expected that we’d hear a few Band covers throughout the weekend. But it would have been hard to predict just how beautiful a musical moment would result. Saturday night headliners My Morning Jacket invited Brittany Howard, lead singer of the Alabama Shakes, to join them for a soulful cover of this Band classic. The tribute was an emotional one, combining the force of established icon Jim James with the talent of an up-and-comer to recognize and pay homage to one of American music’s most beloved legends. The performance combined the best of old and new, which is what folk music is really all about.

Best Artists from Sweden – Tallest Man on Earth, First Aid Kit

Who would have thought that this would end up being the most competitive category? Tallest Man has become a favorite of folk fans in recent years for his bold voice, deft guitar picking, and poetic lyrics that conjure up memories of both Bob Dylan and Nick Drake. But the two sisters from First Aid Kit gave Tallest Man a run for his money in a beautiful performance that featured perfect harmonies and a haunting cover of Joan Baez’ “Diamonds and Rust.” The slight edge goes to Tallest Man, if only for my own personal emotional investment in his music for the past two and a half years, but First Aid Kit’s set remains a high point in the festival.

Best Newcomers – Alabama Shakes

Alabama Shakes established themselves as a force to be reckoned with in their Saturday afternoon main stage set. Lead singer Howard’s booming soulful vocals are reminiscent of Janis Joplin in their power, but Howard’s spirit is all her own. “Hold On” was a crowd favorite. Here’s hoping that the Shakes will be invited back in future years.

Best Tributes – New Multitudes, Guthrie Family Reunion 

This year’s festival was dedicated to folk legend Woody Guthrie, who would have been 100 years old this month, and whose music in some way influenced that of everyone who plays at Newport. Guthrie’s family reunited for a tribute set, paying homage to the family patriarch, whose lyrics remain relevant decades later. Few sets summed up the spirit of Newport better than that of New Multitudes, a supergroup featuring Jim James, Jay Farrar, Will Johnson and Anders Parker singing previously unrecorded Woody Guthrie lyrics set to new music. Both sets were a fitting tribute to the man who inspired so many. 

Best All-Around – My Morning Jacket

Jim James is a Newport Folk Fest staple, and this year his band My Morning Jacket joined him as Saturday night’s headliner. The set was filled with musical guests, from the aforementioned Brittany Howard, to West Coast folk-rock band Dawes, to frequent Jim James collaborator and fellow headliner Conor Oberst. The set was full of old favorites, and although lightning caused the music to be called off 10 minutes early, MMJ fans braved the rain to listen to one of the great voices in modern music.