City, National, News, Politics

Romney announces Rep. Paul Ryan as running mate

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney announced that U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, of Wisconsin, will be his running mate in the upcoming election, according to an official campaign press release.

During the announcement Ryan called Romney, “the right man to lead America back to prosperity and greatness,” according to an official transcript of his speech.

Ryan is in his seventh term as the Representative of Wisconsin’s First Congressional District and he is the chairman of the House Budget Committee.

In 2010 Ryan gained more recognition when he revealed his “Roadmap for America’s Future,” which is a “proposal to eliminate the federal deficit, reform the tax code and preserve entitlements for future generations,” according to the release.

“Our plan to strengthen the middle class will get America back to work and get our country back on track,” said Romney during the announcement.

Romney said that together with Ryan, they will create 12 million new jobs for the middle class, “achieve North American energy independence” and help “those who cannot care for themselves.”

“We will work to preserve and protect Medicare and keep it for future generations,” Romney said in the announcement.

He said his campaign will not support Obamacare.

“We will reform healthcare so that more Americans have access to affordable healthcare, and we will get that started by repealing and replacing Obamacare,” Romney said.

During the announcement, Romney said he praised Ryan for his responsibility to the future generations.

“Paul also combines firm principles with a practical concern for getting things done,” he said. “He has never been content to simply curse the darkness—he would rather light candles. And throughout his legislative career he’s shown the ability to work with members of both parties to find common ground on some of the hardest issues confronting the American people.”

Ryan is 42 years old and is married with three children.  They currently reside in Janesville, Wisc., according to the press release. He has been a member of Congress since he was 28 years old, in 1999, and he was the youngest member of the freshmen class.