Sports

Terriers at the Olympics: Two more Terriers medal as London games come to close

As the 2012 Olympics came to a close in London, two former Boston University students have earned medals since Florian Mennigen earned his gold in the men’s eight rowing competition. Here is a roundup of the final results of the BU Olympians.

Women’s Rowing

Natalie Dell, a Class of 2009 Public Health graduate student at BU, helped Team USA earn a bronze in the women’s quadruple sculls event. After achieving second place in the first heat and the repechage of the event, USA earned a spot in the final. Dell, the bowman of team USA, and her teammates rowed to a third place finish in the final behind Germany and Ukraine.

Field Hockey

Ella Gunson, who is a junior at BU, missed a medal by a single game, as the New Zealand field hockey team finished fourth overall. New Zealand tied the soon-to-be gold medal team from the Netherlands in regulation play during the semifinal round. However, the Netherlands ultimately defeated New Zealand by virtue of a 3-1 shootout. In the bronze medal match, Great Britain topped New Zealand by scoring three second-half goals. In the 3-1 loss for New Zealand, Gunson played a total of 30 minutes.

Basketball

Australian men’s basketball coach Brett Brown suffered perhaps the least painful of defeats for any BU alumni. After defeating Great Britain Aug. 4 and Russia Aug. 6, Australia was pitted against the powerhouse neo-Dream Team of USA in the quarterfinal. Despite a game-high 26 points from the tournament’s leading scorer Patrick Mills of the San Antonio Spurs, Brown’s Boomers fell by a score of 119-86. His team did not medal.

Equestrian

Kamal Bahamdan, a 1994 graduate of BU’s engineering program, competed in his fifth Olympiad this summer as a member of the Saudi Arabian equestrian team. After 16 years of Olympic competition, Bahamdan finally earned his first medal – a bronze in the team show jumping event.

“The goal was set in 2009, a very good program was put into place and it required just the execution, which required time and hard work from everyone that was involved,” Bahamdan said in an interview with 7M Sports.

Saudi Arabia finished behind co-gold medalists Great Britain and the Netherlands.