Field Hockey, Sports

Superior seniors lead BU field hockey on score sheet, off field

As the No. 12 Boston University field hockey team progresses through its season, it has become even clearer that its senior class possesses a wealth of ability both on and off the field.

Senior midfielder Nicole van Oosterom. AUDREY FAIN/DAILY FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO

A look at the stat sheet proves that fact, as the top four point scorers are seniors. Furthermore, the seniors have scored 10 of the teams 13 goals this season.

Senior back Jacinda McLeod leads the team with four goals, while classmates midfielder Nicole van Oosterom, forward Tabi Hatch and midfielder Macey Gaumond have two apiece.

BU coach Sally Starr said the seniors’ offensive performance has made as much of an impact on the team’s play as their leadership abilities.

“I think the seniors’ leadership can really bring a lot to a team,” Starr said. “Senior experience can also bring a lot to a team. So that’s what’s happening for us this year.

“We have a lot of senior experience. Our philosophy is that you’re not just led by your captains. You’re led by your senior class … I think that is a really good strength for us.”

Tired Terriers

After Sunday’s 2–0 loss at the hands of No. 2 Syracuse University, Starr made the comment that the Terriers’ fitness let them down in the second half. It was during the second part of the game that the Orange scored two goals within one minute.

Starr said the situation may have been the result of BU being tired after a late game against Boston College Friday, a contest that started late because of a thunderstorm in the area.

“I really felt we played an excellent game in the first half against Syracuse,” Starr said. “A lot of energy, good decision-making, good tackling. Tackling requires good footwork, balance and patience. When you’re tired, you tend to just plant your feet and reach, and that’s what started happening in the second half.”

To improve their fitness and strength, the Terriers will add more fitness exercises into their drills.

“It’s not to say they haven’t worked hard — they have worked hard throughout the season,” Starr said. “We really just have to do a better job to make sure we’re able to sustain a good work rate so that we’re able to continue to be effective in the second half.”

Golden Goalies

Over the weekend, Starr continued her strategy of platooning both of her goaltenders, senior Jess Maroney and sophomore Valentina Cerda Eimbcke.

So far this season, Cerda Eimbcke has started in five of the team’s six games. Most of the time, she is replaced in the second half by Maroney. Such was the case this weekend.

Earlier this season, Starr referred to the change as being akin to a baseball manager switching his pitchers, as both goaltenders have extremely different styles.

Both Maroney and Cerda Eimbcke have taken home America East honors this season, and their stats put them in the top of the conference for goals against average.

Neither goaltender has proven herself over the other though, as Maroney and Cerda Eimbcke have nearly identical lines. Maroney has given up four goals in 216:51 minutes of play, giving her a 1.29 goals against average. Furthermore Maroney has 17 saves on the year, giving her an .810 save percentage.

Likewise, Cerda Eimbcke has allowed four goals this year in 215:16 minutes of play, giving her an 1.30 goals against average. She has 16 saves, giving her an .800 save percentage.

Due to how well both goaltenders have performed, Starr has not decided which will become the team’s main goaltender between the pipes.

“It’s a day-to-day evaluation,” Starr said. “It’s a practice evaluation, and it’s a game-to-game evaluation. No decisions have been made yet with how we’re going to go with that.

“I just think that we’re fortunate to have two talented goalies that really respect each other and push each other and support each other.”