BU Men’s soccer ready to play Brown in home opener

After playing its first six games on the road, the Boston University men’s soccer team finally gets to play a match at home.  On Thursday night, the Terriers will host No. 24 Brown University at 7 p.m. on Nickerson Field.

Sophomore goalkeeper Nick Thomson has had a lot of success in goal for the Terriers so far this season. AUDREY FAIN/DAILY FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO

“Brown is a very good team,” said BU coach Neil Roberts. “[They are] a top team — a very experienced team that made it into the quarterfinals last year. You do not want to get into a track meet with these guys, because they are very athletic.”

For BU (1–3–2), the competition continues to remain tough as this game will feature their sixth-ranked opponent in the last seven games. For the first time this year, BU will get to see how it stacks up against Ivy League competition.

The Bears (3–1) have the second-best record in the Ivy League behind Cornell University.

That being said, the Bears are no strangers to success. Only a year ago, they won the Ivy League Championship and have returned many key players from that title team.

In this young season, Brown has scored an average of one goal per game while allowing an average of only 0.25 goals per game. The Bears have four players leading the scoring category with one goal each.

Taking that into consideration, BU must watch out for senior midfielder Thomas McNamara, who takes a majority of Brown’s shots (16 so far this year).

Roberts described McNamara as the “guy that makes them go” and a very busy, hard-working player.

BU also needs to be aware of defensemen Eric Robertson and Dylan Remick who, along with McNamara, were named to the All-Tournament team for the Dunkin’ Donuts Brown Soccer Classic.

Senior Sam Kernan-Schloss, an All-Ivy Academic winner, will be starting in goal for the Bears. In the 2011 season, Kernan-Schloss earned nine shutouts (ranked first in the Ivy League) and posted a .800 save percentage (ranked third in the Ivy League).

Roberts said they have a strong back and do not give up many goals.

So far this season, Kernan-Schloss has only allowed one goal in four games and currently boasts a .889 save percentage.

The Bears are coming off their first loss of the season against Fordham University on Sunday in their final game of the Dunkin’ Donuts Brown Soccer Classic.

Prior to the loss, Brown defeated Cleveland State University in the Brown Soccer Classic, Providence College in the Ocean State Tournament and the University of Rhode Island.

After tying one of the best soccer teams in the nation in No. 1/3 University of Connecticut, will be ready to take on the Bears in their next non-league game.

“We have been playing some very good teams and creating scoring chances.  That’s a good sign,” Roberts said.

Sophomore goalkeeper Nick Thomson will have to continue the dominance and leadership he displayed on the road, while the Terriers’ balanced offense, including sophomore forward Dominique Badji, continues to put pressure on opposing goalkeepers.

Of the six opponents the Terriers have faced so far this season, five of them were nationally ranked when the Terriers faced them. For a young group that is trying to grow both individually as players and as a team, the strong opposition has made that tough.

“It is difficult, but you are put under pressure and honestly when you can do well and control the midfield in some of those games it is a good sign,” Roberts said. “No matter what game it is, [Boston College], or St. John’s [University] or Connecticut, I think our midfield did a good job in all of those games, sometimes longer than others but it is definitely coming and we are pretty close to having a real good midfield.”

Coming back from that road trip filled with difficult competition, The team is looking forward to finally playing a home game.

“It’s been a challenging few weeks but the guys are looking forward to playing at home,” Roberts said.