McGuire unlikely hero with first two collegiate goals

Scoring multiple goals for the first time this year, the Boston University men’s soccer team beat the visiting The College of the Holy Cross 4–0 at Nickerson Field Tuesday night. Leading the scoring category was redshirt freshman Mac McGuire.

With fewer than 30 seconds remaining in the first half, McGuire received a pass from junior forward Ali Sozeri and used his speed to beat the Holy Cross defender and net his first goal as a collegiate athlete.

“It was amazing,” Mcguire said after the game. “Especially because it was with  15 seconds left. I thought that really put us in a great position for the second half.”

McGuire’s first goal put BU up 2–0 entering the half and marked the first time the Terriers have scored more than one goal in a game this year.

As a team, BU came out firing in the second half and was poised to score another goal. Holy Cross replaced its starting goalkeeper with back-up Kevin Wright in the hope that he would be able to stop the BU offense, but that was not the case.

In the 56th minute, with an assist from junior midfielder Anthony Ciccone and a great play from sophomore midfielder Cameron Souri, McGuire scored his second goal of the game.

In addition to giving the team a commanding 3–0 lead in the game, McGuire then led the team in scoring with his two goals (a lead that would be later matched by redshirt freshman forward Parker Powell when he scored his second goal of the season in the 80th minute.

McGuire’s two goals made him the unlikely hero in the match versus Holy Cross.

So far this season McGuire has started only two of eight games while averaging 46 minutes in those games. Additionally, McGuire had only one shot on net entering the Holy Cross game.

That being said, coming off the bench does not seem to affect McGuire’s attitude or play.

“Even if I’m not starting I’m happy to come off the bench and get solid playing time,” McGuire said. “Wherever the team needs me to come in I’m happy do that —whether I am starting or coming off the bench, it does not matter.”

BU coach Neil Roberts praised the hard work and athleticism of the Southlake, Texas, native.

“Mac has always got that potential,”Roberts said. “He is a fantastic athlete. He could have played Division 1 football.”

In addition to McGuire’s athleticism, Roberts also noted the redshirt freshman’s continued growth and bright future.

“We have been waiting for him to kind of come through and it has been in spurts this year,”Roberts said. “I think this year and next year you are gonna see him keep coming and coming. He’s learning how to play a little bit more, and he’s getting a little more comfortable on the ball. I think the next couple years it’s gonna be fun to watch him.”

Roberts also said he believes McGuire’s performance and continued hard work will lead to more playing time as BU will soon start playing America East conference members.

McGuire and Powell have been revelations for the team this season, as both redshirt freshmen lead the team in goals with two. For a team that does not have a consistent top scorer at the striker position, the versatility of the two forwards has helped make the Terriers’ offense more dangerous.

McGuire and the rest of the men’s soccer team will travel to Hempstead, NY, later this week to play Hofstra University on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 7 p.m.