Cross Country, Golf, Softball, Sports, Tennis

Roundup: Softball wins first two games under new coaching staff

The Boston University softball team has begun its fall schedule of the 2012–13 academic year on a positive note. The reigning America East championship team holds a record of 2–0 and has outscored its opponents 7–1 under first-year head coach Kathryn Gleason.

In a double-header on Sept. 15, the Terriers defeated Providence College 5–1, before shutting out Bryant University 2–0. By the end of September, BU will also have played a pair of games against two in-city rivals — Boston College and Harvard University.

Gleason has recently announced the addition of a new assistant coach, Suzie Rzegocki, a former pitcher for Purdue University. A graduate of the Class of 2011, Rzegocki had an impressive career at Purdue that included seven school records.

With its revamped coaching staff, BU hopes to match its 2011–12 campaign wherein it won 41 games and earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

Tennis

BU men’s tennis began its season Sept. 14, when the team travelled to Providence, R.I., for the three-day Brown Invitational. Of the seven singles flights played by Terriers during the Invitational, five resulted in two wins and one loss apiece. Each of BU’s four doubles flights, however, resulted in two-matches-to-one setbacks.

Seniors Alex Hallenbeck and Josh Friedman, sophomore Emilio Teran and freshmen Brandon Phan and Eric Miller each took a pair of matches in their respective flights while dropping one.

Each BU individual and pair accrued at least one victory within their flight.

The women’s tennis team officially begins its season Friday, when the players travel to Providence for their own edition of the Brown Invitational.

Golf

The BU women’s golf team has begun its season with a pair of top-two finishes. At the Bucknell Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa., the Terriers, led by an individual title from sophomore Kristyna Pavlickova, finished in first of 15 with a final team score of 930. Pavlickova racked up a personal score of 220.

Rookies also played a large part in the Terriers’ win in Lewisburg. Freshmen Maddy Silverman and Emily Tillo scored 232 and 241, respectively, in their collegiate debuts.

In addition to placing first, BU led all teams in birdies (21), and achieved a school record in low score for a day, with 304.

Before the Bucknell Invitational, the Terriers had not earned a team victory since 2008. At the Dartmouth Invitational last weekend, the Terriers placed second out of 12, coming in behind Yale University. Pavlickova yet again led the team, finishing in second overall with a score of 145 over two days.

BU returns to compete at the ECAC Championship in Egg Harbour, N.J., on Sept. 28 and 29.

Cross Country

America East announced that junior Rich Peters of the BU men’s cross country team was named America East Performer of the Week on Tuesday.

Peters won the University of New Hampshire Invitational meet on Sept. 14 with his finishing time of 25:07.81 minutes. That time was more than a minute faster than the closest finisher to him, and his average mile time of 5:03.4 minutes was nearly 13 seconds faster than the second-place finisher.

It was Peters’ first race of the season, as he did not compete at the Bryant University Invitational meet on Sept. 8.

Partly thanks to Peters’ effort on Friday, the Terriers won their second-consecutive team title and are 2–0 on the season.

The Terriers next race is Sept. 28 at the Lehigh Invitational meet.

1. You’ve got contributed excellent stuff .Which is my own first-time My spouse and i click here. I identified numerous exciting within your weblog specially its discussion. Maintain your blog upgrading along with ideal of luck!