OOMMEN: Celebrity Status

We all start our first year with a plan that will get us through the semester.

Some of us aim for great grades, a social life like never before or getting involved with activities and causes.

“Indulge in the college experience,” they say.

“Make new friends. Get to know your professors. Join every activity you couldn’t join as a kid because they didn’t really exist back then.”

That’s all good stuff but, just for a second, I’d like to sit back and consider what lies before us?

Yes, we all would like to be doctors, artists, teachers, engineers and diplomats.

Yes, we will have memories to look back on.

But who will be the next creative genius and the next one on the movie posters and iPods?

I think it’s fair to say at least one person in my class of about 4,000 students will do something great.

Am I overestimating my fellow freshmen?

I think Boston University students have potential.

Just look at all of the prominent and influential people who have graduated from BU, Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. for example.

When I told one of my friends about my acceptance to King’salma mater, the first thing she said was, “Wait, Jenna Marbles went there too!”

King and Jenna Marbles make an interesting pair.

One was an activist that touched the lives of many and the other is a “vlogger” with an obscenely attractive sense of humor.

That is diversity.

And to take it to the next level, after I heard a certain song play on the loud speakers at Splash, I typed in what sounded like the lyrics and discovered “Gangnam Style” by Psy, who also went to BU.

The next day, I found out that a writer of “Modern Family” attended BU as well.

Amazing.

I know I’m in the right place. The expectations are high.

And BU students can reach them.

I’m sure everyone’s going to find work in something they like and make this world a better place.

However,  I still wonder about the next big thing to come out of my graduating class, the Class of 2016.

If I do fulfill my dream of being an actress — it’s literally a dream because I don’t do anything about it in reality — then others may say, “Oh yeah, I know her, she went to my school.”

I would be so proud to make BU’s “notable alumni” list even longer.

Rhea Oommen is a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences and a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. He can be reached at rheao@bu.edu.