Terriers to play Albany team on hot streak

Following a three-game skid that continued with a double-overtime loss to Harvard University, the Boston University men’s soccer team will look to end its slump against the University at Albany on Saturday at Nickerson Field.

Albany (4–9, 2–2 America East) has struggled on both sides of the ball this season, as they come into this game with a 0.92 goals per game average and 1.77 goals allowed per game average.

“They have some good players, and they made a good run in the playoffs last year,” said BU coach Neil Roberts. “I think they’re still finding themselves.”

Nobody on the Great Danes has more than two goals, as five different players currently lead the team with two apiece.

It is a young team, but none of Albany’s younger players have stepped up to become a true scoring threat during the season.

Despite these glaring weaknesses, Albany has a strength hidden in the fact that they lead America East in saves with 77.

Sophomore goalkeeper Tim Allen is one of the best goalkeepers in the conference. He ranks third in save percentage (.784), first-in saves (76) and first-in saves per game (5.85). Allen has been a solid safety net for a team that gives up a lot of shots and does not score many goals.

This is an interesting time to play Albany, a team that recently went on an eight-game losing streak during which they surrendered 17 goals. The Great Danes have allowed only two goals in their past two games, and both resulted in wins.

“They’re going to be motivated. They’re good in the conference games,” Roberts said of Albany. “They’re an up-and-coming team.”

The Great Danes recently beat the University of Maryland-Baltimore County (7–4–4, 1–2–1 America East) by a score of 2–1. This is not a good sign for BU’s chances, who recently lost to UMBC in a 5-1 blowout.

While Albany is coming into this game with newfound confidence, BU is coming in off of a three-game winless streak.

The Terriers have been consistent offensively and defensively this season, posting a 1.20 goals per game average and a 1.47 goals allowed per game average.

They score by committee, as sophomore forward Parker Powell leads the team with four goals (eighth best in America East) and redshirt freshman forward Mac McGuire, senior midfielder Michael Bustamante and sophomore forward Dominique Badji are tied for second on the team with three goals apiece (10th best in America East).

However, another crucial player on BU’s offense is junior midfielder Anthony Ciccone. With his six assists, he not only leads the team, but is also the second in America East. Ciccone has been the primary ball distributor of the Terriers’ offense.

BU has put itself in an odd situation with its ineligibility to play in the America East tournament. When the team seemed poised for a run at an unlikely at-large bid into the NCAA tournament, it suffered crucial injuries to starting lineup mainstays junior midfielder Fannar Arnarsson and McGuire.

“We lost Fannar [Arnarsson] and we lost Mac [McGuire]. That was a big change within the team, so we had to adjust once again,” Roberts said. “It took a game for the guys to get it going. I think they’re settled in.”

Making adjustments to injuries is nothing new for a BU team that already dealt with season-ending injuries to star junior defender Kelvin Madzongwe and up-and-coming freshman defender Jeroen Blugh early in the season. But adjusting won’t do BU much good this time, as their NCAA tournament hopes have all but disappeared.

Coach Roberts said his team is still playing hard if for nothing more than the good of the game.

“I think they will want to go out and play well,” Roberts said. “I expect to see some passion and appreciation for the game.”

The Terriers are a young team that is looking for improvement going into next season. They have gotten just that out of Powell, McGuire and Badji — among others — but Roberts said he wants to keep seeing it until the end of the season.

“[Against Harvard] I saw a team that dominated like we haven’t dominated in a long time,” Roberts said. “I expect them to do that [against Albany].”