Arts & Entertainment, The Muse, Weeklies

Review: A.C. Newman’s Shut Down the Streets

Just as every great leader’s reign must come to an end, A.C. Newman’s third solo album sees the king of power-pop surrendering his claim on the throne in favor of a softer, folkier sound. The album, released Oct. 9, suits The New Pornographers front man, who builds on old hallmarks with a new sense of maturity — both lyrically and sonically. Though all of his patented verbal gymnastics are still there, a deeper message of new beginnings along with painful losses pervades Shut Down The Streets.

The New Pornographers front man A.C. Newman released his third solo album Shut Down The Streets. Photo Courtesy Noah Kalina/ Fire Records

The album’s development comes in part because of the recent birth of Newman’s son. All of the feelings of a new parent are poured into this album, ranging from unabashed jubilation to an almost crippling nervousness. The subdued and mellow “There’s Money In New Wave” finds Newman giving advice to his young son, while the banjo-laden and driving chorus of “Strings” offers the repeated message “We’ve been waiting for you.”

Following on the heels of this joy and uncertainty is a permeating sense of heartbreak and loss as Newman addresses the recent death of his mother. Newman describes the collective, widespread grief that should have greeted his mother’s passing. “And the roads we drove down all lined / Lined with people, cap in hand and crying,” he coos.

Yet even amidst monumental life changes, fans of the classic A.C. Newman sound won’t be disappointed. “Encyclopedia Of Classic Takedowns” is a sweet slice of catchy and witty power-pop, complete with backing vocals from fellow Pornographer Neko Case. The snap-your-fingers beat of “Hostages” also recalls the definitive Newman sound, repeating, “You work like a charm / Why’d you think you were broken?”

With Shut Down The Streets, Newman offers a mature, reflective album with a simple pop sensibility. Old and new fans alike with find something to love within Newman’s lush homage to life, death, sorrow and elation.