Terriers end America East regular season unbeaten again

With a 1–0 victory against the University of New Hampshire on their senior day, the Boston University women’s soccer team completed yet another perfect season in the America East Conference.

This game also served as the team’s final regular season game as a part of the conference as they will be transitioning into the Patriot League next season.

Because of the Terriers’ (12–6–1, 8–0 America East) ineligibility to participate in the America East postseason tournament, BU will wait patiently for the NCAA to decide if it is indeed worthy of a position in the NCAA Tournament.

Looking back on their season, the Terriers started off slowly, facing difficulty in their non-conference schedule, but as they began America East play, the Terriers made the necessary adjustments and heated up at just the right time in order to a make their push for a possible postseason berth.

As a whole, the Terriers have shown that, offensively, they have the ability to generate shot opportunities, which have led to goals. Being in constant attack mode, BU has garnered a significant advantage over its opponents in the shot category, taking 269 shots this season while their opponents have been relegated to 184. They have been awarded 108 corner kicks, compared to their opponents’ 70, and have thus outscored their opponents 30–17.

This lopsided offensive showing also speaks volumes to the Terriers’ exceptional defensive play, led by junior goalkeeper Andrea Green. In Sunday’s game, however, BU coach Nancy Feldman inserted sophomore Alyssa Parisi in the second half in place of Green.

“I just felt like Andrea has played great all season,” Feldman said. “There’s not much separating the two of them, and it was Alyssa’s time.”

Parisi, who has seen action in only two games this season, was placed into a tight 1–0 game when she entered, and was quickly put to the test as she was faced with a penalty shot just over 15 minutes into the second half.

Parisi successfully anticipated the placement of the shot and dove onto it, preserving the win for the Terriers.

Over the course of the season, the Terriers have been faced with a rigorous schedule of both conference and non-conference games.

What the selection committee will have to decide is if BU has proven that they can play with national competition. In non-conference matches, BU is 4–6–1. In the Stanford Nike invitational, the Terriers faced then-No. 5 Stanford University, and fell 1–0.

The Terriers held Stanford scoreless through the first 88 minutes of play until they gave up a goal fired from 20 yards.

In the following game, the Terriers faced No. 19 Santa Clara University where they once again gave up only one goal on a defensive error.

Overall, the Terriers make a good case for the NCAA tournament by showing that they do have the ability to compete at a national level.

Their recent 2–1 loss at Dartmouth College, however, may have caused a hiccup in their aspirations toward a postseason. Dartmouth, at 11–4 overall and 4–1 in the Ivy League may be a deal-breaker for the Terriers as their fate is in the balance.

“With our loss against Dartmouth it’s not looking as great,” said senior defender Jessica Morrow. “But we’re still going to train with a sliver of hope so that we are ready if we are chosen.”

The NCAA Division 1 women’s soccer selection committee will deliberate from Nov. 3 through Nov. 5 and announce its selections on Nov. 5 at 4:30 p.m.