STEM Jobs Act encourages int’l students to study sciences, math, tech.

With the recent passage of the STEM Jobs Act in House, some experts said the U.S. has potential to see an influx of students from all over the world studying science, technology, engineering or mathematics.

However, some Boston University officials said that other colleges with high international student populations, such as Boston University, will likely not see drastic changes to the climate of campus.

The bill could grant up to 55,000 green cards to students who graduated from American research institutions with a degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.

About 6,600 students at BU are international students, said Jeanne Kelley, director of the International Students and Scholars Office. Thirty to 40 percent of these students are studying in STEM fields.

“I think it would have a significant impact on our students graduating from STEM fields,” Kelley said. “If they choose to stay here, it should be a lot easier for them to stay in the U.S. and perhaps start a business. They will contribute to some of the technical and scientific innovation that occurs in companies in the U.S.”

The majority of international students coming to BU are already majoring in one of the STEM fields, said W. Jeffrey Hughes, associate dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

“We’re already seeing undergraduate enrollments in these disciplines increase and hence adjusting our course offerings,” Hughes said. “I don’t expect this new law will change things much.”

However, Kelley said if this bill or a bill similar to it is passed, it could possibly increase the international enrollment in the STEM fields at BU and other institutions in the U.S.

“I think anything our country can do to increase science and technical innovation and help with economic development is in the best interest of the United States,” she said.

Aditya Sengupta, a College of Engineering junior from Singapore, said the bill is beneficial.

“The U.S. definitely needs more Ph.D. students in science, engineering, math and those kinds of fields, and not enough domestic Americans are gearing themselves to it,” he said.

More immigrants who specialize in the STEM fields will improve the competitiveness of the American job market, Sengupta said.

“Personally, I think our government should make more visas in medicine rather than in science, engineering and math,” he said.

If the bill passes, Sengupta said it would improve the productivity and competitiveness of the nation.

“If anything, people will be more motivated to do better to outcompete people who are coming here,” he said. “That in turn will push the country forward. You want to be over-competitive so you never fall off the edge.”

Graham Arrick, an ENG sophomore, said he does not think it will have a negative impact if more foreign graduates of American universities stay in the U.S. after graduation.

“I don’t think outsourcing is good, but I have no problem with people coming here to work,” he said. “I think it’s a good initiative, anyone who wants to work here should get the opportunity to.”

Senate Democrats blocked the debate because they did not support the elimination the diversity visa, which currently provides visas to people from countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S.

“I think it’s a good thing that they’re trying to get more people to have visas, but it’s not fair to decrease the amount of visas for other people,” said Sarara Soji, a School of Hospitality Administration junior from Japan.

Soji said she is not sure if it is possible, but she would prefer a way to make more visas available for anyone to come to the U.S.

“It can certainly be seen as unfair,” Hughes said. “But is it fair that doctors and lawyers typically make more money than teachers? Bottom line is that the U.S. needs more STEM qualified people, and it has to get them from somewhere if it is to stay competitive.”

Rishi Kapur, a College of Communication and School of Management freshman from Singapore, said the bill is a good initiative, but is unfair because it only provides for graduates in the sciences and technology fields.

“The ones who are more qualified should get the opportunity to work here, no matter what field, since they’ll be able to contribute a lot more,” Kapur said. “They came all the way across the ocean and funded their education in American schools, then sometimes they are not given the opportunity to stay here and work.”

Chris Lisinski contributed to the reporting of this article.

1. Two thumbs up! Your article wins my approval. I know, that’s no big deal. I just want to say thank you for this information. I agree with your fresh views.