Menino released from Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino left Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital on Sunday after spending eight weeks in two medical centers fighting a number of different ailments, officials said.

Menino did not return to his Hyde Park home when he was released. He went to the Parkman House on Beacon Hill to continue his rehabilitation, said spokesman John Guilfoil.

“He did not go home on Sunday or Monday,” Guilfoil said.

After returning early from a trip to Italy, Menino was hospitalized at Brigham and Women’s Hospital on Oct. 26 for a viral infection. He was treated for the infection, as well as for a blood clot in his leg, for almost three weeks before suffering from a fracture in his back.

On Nov. 27, Menino was transferred to Spaulding after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at some point during his stay at Brigham and Women’s.

“He is doing very, very well,” Guilfoil said. “He was sick and he made fantastic strides to the point where his doctors thought he should be out of the hospital.”

Menino paid his annual Christmas Eve visit to a Dorchester youth center to pass out presents to the children on Monday.

Guilfoil said there is no information about when Menino will return to City Hall.