Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: Support your hockey team!

We are writing as long time hockey season ticket holders (over 10 years each) and BU alumni to comment on the recent, exceptionally poor turnout at home games. In particular, turnout by current students at the Merrimack and Vermont games has been pathetic.  What’s with the all apathy?

We have a difficult time understanding why current students do not support the hockey team. You have an elite team, one of the premier coaches in college hockey, and a long-time tradition that can only be rivaled a few Division I schools.  And yet, for the past few games (and frankly, for most games), attendance is pathetic.  Has there even been one sell out? What better is there to do at 7 p.m. on a Tuesday (Merrimack) or Friday? It’s not like the students are out ripping it up at 7p.m.! And we suspect that you are not buried in your books.

The events of the past year may have raised some concern. However, as we have learned, the Boston media has blown these events far out of proportion from what actually occurred, and Coach Jack Parker has addressed the matter.

Show some pride in your team and your school. Show up at the games and cheer on your team.

Brendan Boyce

CAS ‘97

bboyce@law.gwu.edu

Robert Strechay

SMG ‘97

rob@strechay.com

1. It was Spring Break last week… you expected high student turnout when no one was on campus?

2. Correct last week was spring break but where were you (students) the Merrimack game that was on a tuesday night the week before spring break?

This was published a week later than we intended due to spring break and “yes” would have made more sense when we wrote it.

I hope that BU gets inspired to show up on friday at the Garden for potentially Parker’s last game vs BC …

3. Brian you are Correct … last week was Spring Break and we can understand for the two games against Merrimack in the playoffs that students would not be there … same for the Northeastern Games the weekend before. What we are talking about is the Tuesday Game 2/26 and all the games before that where except for BC there rarely were two full student sections. We are not inditing all students but in an University of more than 15000 – filling up two sections of the arena should not be that tough. We had an average attendnce of of just over 4500 in an arena for 6500. http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/2012-2013/