Lacrosse, Sports

Lacrosse falls to Boston College 12-9 despite late comeback attempt

Following a critical victory against No. 15 Ohio State University, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team fell to Boston College 12-9 Wednesday afternoon in Chestnut Hill.

“In general, I was disappointed in the way we played today,” said BU coach Liz Robertshaw. “Overall, we were really inconsistent all over the field.”

BC (4-4) opened up the scoring fewer than three minutes into the contest when midfielder Sarah Mannelly netted her 11th goal of the season.

BU (2-4) responded three minutes later with a goal from senior attack Danielle Etrasco on a feed from sophomore attack Lindsay Weiner for her team-leading 18th goal of the season.

Etrasco is currently sitting in second place in the America East Conference in goals per game, averaging 3.4.

Etrasco’s goal was the first in a four-goal run for the Terriers, each coming from a different BU player.

The Eagles, however, responded with a run of their own over the last 11 minutes of the first half, putting in three unanswered goals to knot up the score at four heading into halftime.

In the first half, the Terriers were dominated at midfield, controlling only one of nine draws, but their defense was stout as they were able to force BC into six turnovers and junior goalkeeper Christina Sheridan was able to rack up five saves.

“In the draw controls I didn’t think we were as aggressive on them as we were, not just against Ohio State, but in a lot of the games before,” Robertshaw said.

Coming out of the locker room, the Eagles offense went on a tear, scoring five straight goals to open up a 9-4 lead with about 21 minutes remaining in the game. Following a foul on BC defender Claire Blohm, junior attack Jessica Morse was awarded a free-position shot, which she placed in the back of the net past BC goalkeeper Emily Mata.

The goal was Morse’s second of the game and BU’s first of the second half.

After another free-position goal from Morse brought the Terriers within three, BU lined up for the draw, which was controlled by BC midfielder Mikaela Rix. Rix took the ball the length of the field herself for a score to put the Eagles back up by four, 10-6, with just over 17 minutes remaining in the game.

Four minutes later, Morse was awarded another free-position shot, which she again put past Mata for her fourth goal of the game, and third coming off of a free position shot.

“I was really impressed with the shooting of Liz Morse, she did a great job,” Robertshaw said.

After BC responded with a goal from attack Covie Stanwick to go up by four with 11:46 to play, senior midfielder Kristen Mogavero controlled the draw and Morse scored her fifth goal of the game just 18 seconds after BU gained possession.

Morse finished the game with a career-high five goals, three more goals than she had all of last season.

Following the goal, the Terriers showed signs of life on the defensive end, as they held BC scoreless for nine minutes.

With just more than two minutes to play, junior midfielder Becca Church found the back of the net to bring the Terriers within two goals with a little over two minutes remaining in the game.

But about 30 seconds later, the Eagles scored an insurance goal to put the game out of reach for the Terriers.

In the second half, the Terriers improved in draw controls, but were still on the losing end of the differential, 10-4.

The BC defense tightened in the second half to limit BU’s scoring opportunities, as it held BU to only seven shots on net and also forced six turnovers.

“We weren’t playing as a unified group to try to get the ball in our stick,” Robertshaw said. “That hurt us.”