Food, The Muse, Weeklies

Boston’s Restaurant Week: The Top of the Hub

Bonnie Zeng/Daily Free Press Staff Top of the hub meal.
Bonnie Zeng/Daily Free Press Staff
Top of the hub meal.

If it’s your first time in Boston for Restaurant Week, it’s normal to be overwhelmed. With over 200 of Boston’s finest restaurants offering fixed-price meals that college students can afford, it’s hard to choose which restaurant to try. But in these final days of this year’s Restaurant Week, if you’re interested in enjoying three-courses of Western cuisine inspired by Asian and Californian dishes, all accompanied by a breathtaking view of the Boston skyline, look no further than the Top of the Hub.

Located on the 52nd floor of the Prudential Tower, it’s hard not to get distracted by the incredible view of Boston that surrounds nearly the entire dining room, a feature popular among tourists. The candles that laced the room, the lounge in the middle of the restaurant and the impressive collection of fine wines all added to the restaurant’s romantic ambiance.

Bonnie Zeng/Daily Free Press Staff
Bonnie Zeng/Daily Free Press Staff

For the appetizer, the cauliflower and carrot soup with goat cheese, bacon and fried shallots stood out. The crispy garnish was a nice touch, complimenting the sweet and creamy soup, and the bacon did not overwhelm its delicate flavors. The entrée of bourbon-and-black-pepper-glazed short rib with green apple slaw and white cheddar potato cake was beautifully presented and tasty. The tender short rib lay on top of the light, crispy potato cake, each complimenting the other texturally and in flavor.

Another entrée, grilled black tiger shrimp with pasta tubes, roasted tomatoes, sweet basil parmesan cream and pignoli, differed from the hearty steak in essence, but not in quality. The shrimp were large and cooked perfectly. The pasta was creamy, although the dish was not much different than one that you could order at a place like Olive Garden. Finally, for dessert, the crème brulee was topped with seasonal blackberries, perfectly thick and creamy, and especially buttery.

Alternative dishes include blood orange, almond and rocket salad with roasted garlic lemonette and blue cheese for appetizer, roasted chicken breast with Tuscan kale, white bean stew, crushed red pepper, and fennel sausage for the entrée, and two-layered Mississippi mud pie for dessert.

Bonnie Zeng/Daily Free Press Staff
Bonnie Zeng/Daily Free Press Staff

The portions were relatively small, but filling. You leave feeling satisfied and not overstuffed. The service was also friendly. The waitress was attentive and took the time to answer any questions about different dishes.

With a reservation at 6:30 p.m., I had the chance to witness the astounding progression of the Boston skyline as the sun set. As the sky faded into darkness, the lights from buildings and streets grew brighter, revealing a new beautiful view of the city. After sunset, the restaurant was softly lit by dim candles and the city lights.

Overall, it was an excellent dining experience in terms of food quality, service and atmosphere. The Restaurant Week menu is only a sample of their more diverse regular menu, and this first visit definitely piqued my interest in dining at the Top of the Hub in the future.

The Top of the Hub is located on the 52nd floor of the Prudential Tower at 800 Boylston Street. All Restaurant Week prix fixe menus set prices at $38.13 for a three-course dinner, $20.13 for a three-course lunch and $15.13 for a two-course lunch.

Bonnie Zeng/ Daily Free Press Staff
Bonnie Zeng/ Daily Free Press Staff